SMB Mounting on BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norda

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Finally received my SMB. I got the OMS 5' 2" 50lb lift combo. However, I overlooked the fact that it doesn't come with any kind of attachment mechanism (when not in use).

Can anyone provide suggestions? My plan was to role it, secure it (like a velcro strip?) and then clip to a D ring on my BC. It would be nice to have a single clip and velcro strip device, and of course somehow connected to the bouy so I don't drop it when I remove it underwater! Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill.

Let us know what you are currently using and someone will be sure to answer.

Hmmm... was it the Seaquest BC that did it? Come on, somebody out there must have an answer?

Why don't your put it into one of your pockets? It should fold down pretty small and in a pocket it would be out of the way without being a "danglie" until you need it.

Just a thought.

Yes, that is an option, but with only one pocket I was hoping for another solution. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Bill.

is that I think you should do everything you can to eliminate clipping stuff all over yourself. A SMB is only going to be used at one point in a dive, it should be totally stowed until it is needed. Hence the pocket suggestion. If you have a drysuit (?) you can attach pockets to the drysuit. The BP/Wings often have a "pack" under the small of your back which you can stow SMBS and lift bags in. I don't know if you could rig some sort of mesh pack to store it in underneath the small of your back...anyone else ever tried this?

I'm trying for ya Norda!

Hi Norda,

I tried to devise a Velcro strip/clip arrangement, but in the end I decided that simpler is better and I keep my sausage (SMB) in a pocket. I have the sort which has a 6m line permanently attached to the buoy (it is designed for use at a safety stop). I simply roll the sausage and then wrap the line around it.

I had two problems with my strip/clip attachments. The simplest option I could think of was to attach a double-sided Velcro strip to the end of the line and wrap it round the rolled-up sausage so the 'hook' side seals on to the 'loop' side. However, when I attached a clip to the other end of the Velcro, it compromised the seal -- the weight of the sausage could gradually 'unhook' the Velcro. It was also unacceptably dangly. I started feeling like the Heath Robinson of the diving world and abandoned the project.

A couple of people I know have their sausages in small, velcro-sealed pouches. The pouch attaches to their BC with one or two clips. The two-clip option seems better because you can attach both ends of the pouch, reducing the dangle factor.

Hope that helps,

Zept

Stuff it in a pocket.
Bungee it to your ?

I have mine in a pouch with a velcro closure on one end, bungeed to the butt of my backplate. It fits inside the bag with a spool with #36 line, a double-ender, a pencil, a blank sheet of waterproof paper and a strobe, all rigged and ready to go.

Steven

Alright, you guys are great, thanks for the suggestions.

Zept, thanks I was headed in the same direction you seem to have already been. However, the pouch seems a good idea.

Reefraff, your idea is intriguing, the ability to have everything together in one place. Thinking ahead! However, I don't have a BP/Wing setup so don't know if this would work with a standard BC. I don't believe there is anywhere to attach in the backside.

As for pouches, I haven't seen many around. I'll do some searching and find out what the options are.

Thanks everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom