SMB Mounting on BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one of these puppies: BCA267K

I've never put it on a standard BC and I'm not familiar with yours but a lot of them have a couple of rings at the bottom you could fix this to.

Another method I have seen is some bungee on the tank with it tucked in.

I always deploy mine from a reel as it is more flexible and I have seen some dreadful cats craddles with the 6 feet of line on the SMB approach.

Whichever method you adopt make sure you practice deploying it - before you need it

Jonathan

On my jacket BC, I just kept it in a pocket.

On my BP: http://www.scubaboard.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=217732
the orange you see on the left ( top of pic) is my OMS DSMB bungeed to the BP and clipped off in the corner with the double ender. Don't know if you could do something like that off the hard pack of your balance or not. It's secure & out of the way, but readily accessible. It's rolled from bottom to top and just slinkies out of the bungees when you pull the strap.

I have a Balance myself. My SMB is in the pocket. Try to clip as little as possible to your BC D-rings, you only have two. I use them for my lights.

I use two loops of surgical tubing around the tank to hold my lift bag in place on the tank. It gets tucked as far as possible into the "corner" formed by the tank and the wing and the hardware is tucked on the inside where it will not be able to snag on anything. When placed low on the tank, it is easy to reach during the dive, is out of the way and fairly well streamlined. Bungee cord would work equally well to secure it. This location works equally well with a BP/wing or with a BC and works with singles or doubles.

I tried mounting my lift bag on the bottom of the backplate for awhile but did not like this as much as it was harder to access, was in the way on the boat and put a little more wear and tear on the bag itself as it was more likely to get pressed between the tanks and whatever they were sittign on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom