SMB Usage at Night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marjsyd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wanted to put this into the forum for advice. I have typically been a ascending from night dives with SMB deployed and torch facing up. On reaching the surface I put my torch onto the SMB to illuminate it - it becomes a glowing orange column in the water as I swim back to the boat. However, recently I was told not to ascend from a night dive using an SMB. Any thoughts on the correct and safest method for a night dive ascent much appreciated ...

Boats are supposed to have lights. Your SMB might (should?) have reflective tape.

No reason imo not to use one. (unless I'm crawling out at shore or ascending along the anchor line)

What were you given as reason for not using it?

I too would be interested in the rationale for this. I see you are posting from China so may be a regional practice but I can't think of any reason not to use one. I too shine my light at the base to make it glow. I know some SMB's are made with a sleeve to hold a light stick for use at night.

I would use one if I needed however you should never clip it off to you or your gear. Dive floats SMBs and Lift bags seem to attract idiots in boats and if one snags your line or tries to steal the bag you dont want to be drug up with it.

Around here I would I would also affix glow Sticks to it like others have said I would never attach it to myself and once I surface I would make it glow with one flashlight and I would use my second to signal the boat if we were boat diving that being said before surfacing I would be listening for other boats before breaking the surface

I would always use one anywhere there might be boat traffic while I was ascending. Rules/local etiquette or not, I'll take my own safety first. I've done the light in the tube thing and it is quite a dramatic effect. I also added a reflective material to the top of my SMB for maybe 8 inches and have a red/yellow tube on alternate sides so it's pretty distinctive in the water.

EDIT: I've also seen people clip a flashing light to the top of them before, which also grabs a lot of attention. Local rules on flashing lights on the water are far more strict, generally speaking, though, so make sure you're aware of them before doing this.

When drift diving at night in SE FL, I surface on the flag and do not shoot a SMB. The boat is often already there, if not, I carry a strobe and also use my light. I've occasionally blown a few notes on my DiveAlert. I think the strobe is probably the best bet, I tell the boat I have one and have been told it is highly visible and shines in all directions. On a couple of occasions, I have attached it to the top of the flag post. If I shot a SMB, I would probably do the same things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom