Smell of SeaDive Mask. Looking for feedback.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm thinking about buying a SeaDive CatEye frameless mask. I've tried it on and the seal & fit, outside of the water, is superb. The concern I have is the smell of the mask. It smells like a highlighter. I've never smelled anything like that on a mask before and in speaking to the shop, it seems that's normal for this mask.

I wanted to see if:

1. Anyone else has purchased and used a SeaDive mask and has experienced this strong smell initially
  2. If so, has the smell gone away
  3. Anyone has had any issues with the mask
  4. Anyone has any feedback on SeaDive, the manufacturer

I might normally walk away from something like this but the mask REALLY offered a great seal and awesome fit so I want to do some homework. My 3 month old TUSA Powerview is leaking quite a bit so I need to find a better fitting mask.

Overall, I'm concerned from a health perspective since I wouldn't spend my time sniffing a highlighter outside the water, let alone in it. :wink:

Thanks,

Rey...

All masks have an odor. Some masks smell more than others. Usually, after a while OUT of the packaging the plastic/silicone smell will abate. Washing the packing slime off of the mask with a good dishwashing detergent will accelerate this. Just be sure that the manufacturer is OK with that.

All masks have an odor. Some masks smell more than others. Usually, after a while OUT of the packaging the plastic/silicone smell will abate. Washing the packing slime off of the mask with a good dishwashing detergent will accelerate this. Just be sure that the manufacturer is OK with that.

Thanks Pete. Have you had any experience with SeaDive masks? Any info on the company itself? Looking at the site (http://www.seadiveinc.com/), it doesn't offer much detail about them at all.

Rey...

I actually own one and have dove it. Deep Six, the shop Elena used to manage in Stuart Fl sold them. She remembers the smell in the shop, but I don't. However, most modern masks are covered with a release agent during manufacture to allow them to separate from the mold. Many of them are also sprayed with a preservative to keep them fresh during shipment. These can be tenacious and I recall a recent issue where you had to burn the stuff off of masks (not SeaDive) in order to keep them from fogging.

I actually own one and have dove it. Deep Six, the shop Elena used to manage in Stuart Fl sold them. She remembers the smell in the shop, but I don't. However, most modern masks are covered with a release agent during manufacture to allow them to separate from the mold. Many of them are also sprayed with a preservative to keep them fresh during shipment. These can be tenacious and I recall a recent issue where you had to burn the stuff off of masks (not SeaDive) in order to keep them from fogging.

Thanks for the details Pete. I'm going to buy the SeaDive mask and give it a go.

Really appreciate the support.

Rey

Hey Rey! I think we spoke on the phone about this issue. It's a brand new mask odor, the mold release agent will dissipate. I'm loving my SeaDive mask more and more each dive. Go for it!

Hey Rey! I think we spoke on the phone about this issue. It's a brand new mask odor, the mold release agent will dissipate. I'm loving my SeaDive mask more and more each dive. Go for it!

Hey Joyce! Yep that was me. I'm pretty sure you guys are closed until Tuesday so I'll give you a buzz then so I can pick up the mask. :)

Thanks for joining the thread. :)

Rey...

Mask is ordered. Looking forward to using it. :D

Sigh. Mask didn't fit. It put pressure on the bridge of my nose just trying it on. :p

Thanks Joyce for all your help and patience. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom