Smoker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my last trip south a pal-o-mine came along. He's a weed-head to say the least.This dude was firing up in the parking lot at the airport, in the rental car on the way to the motel and his room smelled like a pot house. We dove like three dives a day and he was smoking in the mornings before the dives and at night. Not being a smoker or drinker myself, I just wondered how this would affect a person's ability to reason in case of an emergency and if it would affect one's lung capacity. I noticed that he used a lot of air on these dives. Anyone have any experience with this?:dork2:

Be honest, beacause I will. You knew what the responses to your questions would be. You really had to wonder if smoking pot would affect a person's ability to reason? You don't expect anyone to believe you don't know the answer to that one, do you? Does smoke affect lung capacity? Please, don't insult yourself. You're bound to be more intelligent than that. You either wanted us to rag on your friend, being vice-free yourself, or just get a nice provacative line going.

If anyone on earth today does not know pot and alcohol will affect reasoning (or your health), in any situation, then they are not from this planet. Hey, I applaud you for not drinking or smoking pot. That's the right thing to do...Now instead of posting this so we can rip your friend, be a "pal". Keep it between the two of you and try to help him with his problem. Pal, getting stoned all the time is not the problem. It's just the crutch to bury the problem.

I totally experienced the bigger tips when delivering to pot heads... they didn't care if you were late either. I'm sure they'd be all grumpy when waiting for you, but as soon as that food showed up it didn't matter. :)

--Shannon

Absolutely, I even had one group chase me down the driveway of a farm house, so it was a long driveway, just because they forgot my tip....which they hadn't :wink:

On my last trip south a pal-o-mine came along. He's a weed-head to say the least.This dude was firing up in the parking lot at the airport, in the rental car on the way to the motel and his room smelled like a pot house. We dove like three dives a day and he was smoking in the mornings before the dives and at night. Not being a smoker or drinker myself, I just wondered how this would affect a person's ability to reason in case of an emergency and if it would affect one's lung capacity. I noticed that he used a lot of air on these dives. Anyone have any experience with this?:dork2:

I think its quite obvious what drinking while/night before diving would have..

Im a smoker and I dont smoke at all the day that im diving..

i dont allow anyone to smoke in my house or car and rarely do they smoke in my presence so why would i allow anyone to smoke drugs if i was in the above situation!

and as far as your "just wondered how this would affect a person's ability to reason in case of an emergency "; they call it dope for a reason....the guy would not be acting the full quid in a emergency

unlike most here, i dont consider it as "only" dope, i think there is pretty strong evidence that long term dope use (becasue i cant spell majuarhaanahnahananann) often leads to greater drug addictions and physc issues after prolonged use

if your friend cant function a few hours without the stuff - he cant function period

cheers and goodluck

Police?! Why don't you just clock this pothead with your pony?

If he is an addict, not-smoking would cause withdrawal symptoms and THEN he really might make a mistake.

I met dozens of instructors who smoked pot, a few who went diving on cocaine and at least three who were shooting ketamine. INTRUCTORS, US Americans.

Police! Don't be ridiculous!

i dont allow anyone to smoke in my house or car and rarely do they smoke in my presence so why would i allow anyone to smoke drugs if i was in the above situation!

and as far as your "just wondered how this would affect a person's ability to reason in case of an emergency "; they call it dope for a reason....the guy would not be acting the full quid in a emergency

unlike most here, i dont consider it as "only" dope, i think there is pretty strong evidence that long term dope use (becasue i cant spell majuarhaanahnahananann) often leads to greater drug addictions and physc issues after prolonged use

if your friend cant function a few hours without the stuff - he cant function period

cheers and goodluck

Where I come from, "dope" doesn't mean pot, and nobody ever says, "It's just a little dope."

I agree with you that a marajuana addict is just as bad as any other addict, but I also think that, like alchohol, marajuana can be used responsibly.

ok, i have opinions on both sides of this issue.

first i'm sorry to be unagreeable with you almitywife, but smoking week does not lead to stronger drugs, or bad life decisions. i have friends that have been smoking pot regularly since i was a teenager, and they have positions of responsibility, and don't do any other drugs besides alcohol. so while some people might go on to use stronger drugs, it is with in that person not the drug.
second, calling the police is a ridiculous thing to even suggest. that being said, i would never dive while taking anything that is mind altering. that is a moronic thing to do. it is mind boggling to me, how people lose respect for this sport, when your life is in the balance every time you break the surface. just like with many other things in our life, it's when we start taking it for granted that real problems catch up to us. so my advise would be to never dive with any person taking any mind altering drugs, because they could put everyone who is diving with you guys in jeopardy. several people have drowned trying to save other people, so it doesn't just affect the person doing the drugs.
while i don't really smoke pot anymore, i use to and don't find any problems with it, as long as you don't abuse it. alcohol has been proven to be much more dangerous than pot. so the same common sense rules should be applied to both.
and as far as diving goes, it is the safest sport in the world because of the education that comes with it. but like anything else, it can turn deadly if you refuse to follow that education. i hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom