Smoking weed on liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and it takes more than 30 days for THC to be eliminated from the body. As long as you have fat cells in your body, the effects can be felt for much longer than just a few hours.

Gulp... give the amount of "bioprene" I've developed the past two years, does that mean my days as a wild 60s hippy/radical activist are still "with me?"

Personally I think the question of whether one can smoke weed on a dive boat is way out of line. Given Coast Guard regulations you may put the boat's owner in serious jeopardy as well as the careers of some other passengers as has been posted. If you can't wait until you're back on dry land to toke, maybe boat-based diving isn't for you. Personally I wouldn't drink or smoke before diving... I want to enjoy the unique pleasures of what I see underwater without any additional mind alteration.

Last edited:
So the point of this post is?

The answers you're getting are no different than what you already knew you'd hear. Just like you already know, it's illegal essentially everywhere you are going to go. So it's the same as anything that is illegal. You may be able to get away with it, but you could also get busted for it. In some places, the punishment is either severe or terminal like Indo where you enter under the big sign that says punishment for drug trafficking, and that would be carrying any amount not just over some amount like the US, is death.

No boat captain is going to jeopardize themselves and their business over you. Just like on dry land, responses range from not caring what you do to they don't like it at all to they don't like it and will turn you in. Whether you like it or enjoy its effects, no one needs a drug to modify their behavior. Whether it's this, coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, food, or whatever. You've just established a mental dependence and association with it. When you were a kid, you never needed all that stuff. So just as you established it, you can change that.

Just keep it away from me. If I find out that someone on board has some, and intends to use it and the boat owner won't prevent it, I'd probably cancel or look for another boat.

Some of us HAVE to "get hung up on the legalities". I have a security clearance, and I really like my job. I'll be damned if I'm going to get on the hook because someone can't leave it alone for a few days. :rolleyes:

Oh, and it takes more than 30 days for THC to be eliminated from the body. As long as you have fat cells in your body, the effects can be felt for much longer than just a few hours.

I'd never dive with you.

The "hung up on legalities" was a snip of a fuller sentence completely taken out of context by a mod editing the original post.

You'd want to inhale alot of second hand smoke to accumulate any THC in your fat cells.

The effects of marijuana are not felt for days as you say. Metabolites of the drug which are inactive are absorbed by fat cells. However, they do not possess any pharmacological activity or cause one to feel high.

You've just established a mental dependence and association with it. When you were a kid, you never needed all that stuff. So just as you established it, you can change that.

I dont smoke often. I dont have a dependence problem.

but what do you do on a liveaboard when the crew is smoking pot and the captain is stone drunk? :idk:

(at least one person here knows exactly what liveaboard I'm referring to.... and they are no longer in business, so less worries for all).

Then why risk bringing it?

Not going to bother bringing it, it was just a mild consideration (after thinking of the dehydrating effect of alcohol) and simple question posed a few nights ago to gauge peoples experiences. But thanks for all the dogmatic opinions and horror stories.

I was also wondering what the situation was if in international waters with drugs. I'm not that up on maritime law. But anyway, that is all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom