snaps: brass vs. SS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi. Can anyone tell me the rationale behind stainless steel snaps instead of brass?

Where I live, I can get brass very easily from the hardware store but have to special order SS. Before I decide, I want to weigh both sides but for the life of me, I cant figure out why most people would never use brass.....or at least they say that.

i've heard two reasons and experienced them both

brass tends to wear away at the "thumb latch" (what you open the snap with) and it makes a sharp edge than can cut you, especially with soggy hands

also, brass snaps tend to fail at the spring more often, for some reason

Over time the movement of the bolt in a brass boltsnap tends to sharpen the edges of the channel in which it rides. For many divers this doesn't really matter much.

But when you take a cave course you find yourself removing and replacing sling bottles frequently. Generally, due to the water temps, you may not be wearing gloves. You are going to find that the waterlogged tips of your fingers sustain many little 'double cuts' from the sharp edges of that brass boltsnap channel.

Stainless steep boltsnaps are not as soft as brass. Therefore the edges of the channel tend to not become sharpened over time.

I thought it was entirely BS until I took a class where I spent quite a few dives removing and replacing stage bottles...and the tips of my thumbs were all sliced up after a couple days. Now I use SS boltsnaps.

It might not ever make a difference to you, or perhaps you are that diver who will take a small file and knock the edges off your brass boltsnaps periodically. It is not a huge issue unless you're using stage or deco bottles frequently.

But if you are, and you insist on using brass boltsnaps...prepare to slice up the pads of your thumbs one of these days! :wink:

Regards,

Doc

Oops - Andy and I were typing at the same time... Sorry, Andy. :)

no worries you explained it a lot better than me

have you heard about the spring issue? i find it's true: my brass snaps tend to jam a lot more

Actually, (jeez I hope you don't mind me quoting the master,) it isn't the spring per se that jams your snaps - if what I understand from different boards is true. Florida has a high level of a particular mineral (silica? quartzite?) or mix of minerals and clay in its waters. There is no doubt someone on the board who can either find the article by George or some quotes, who will have the proper geological name, etc. But basically its an extremely fine grit that you find in caves and some places in open water, and it will hang in the water for a long time if disturbed. My understanding is that because brass is such a soft metal, this fine grit embeds itself in the brass and over time will cause the bolt to first jam up and then finally freeze in place. This was one reason why George was death on metal to metal connections: he'd had enough boltsnaps load up with this grit and freeze on him that he had to then cut free when switching sling bottles. It isn't that this substance doesn't impact the SS boltsnaps, but the chromed SS boltsnaps are far harder and more resistant to the grit than the much softer brass. Thus they tend to 'jam' (or suffer the effects of the embedded grit) far less frequently than the softer brass boltsnaps.

At least this is my understanding, Andy...its not the springs, its the movement of the bolt itself within the channel that is degraded over time by the embedded grit.

(YMMV...)

Doc

I've sliced my thumb wide open on brass bolt snaps, multiple times on the same dive. Hurts like @#$%$%(*)*....I've never had cutting issues with SS snaps.
Plus, they're bling! :wink:

Ditto....I still have a few brass ones I will let go cheap---lol. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom