Snorkel a necessity on open water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For such a small bit of kit, don't we get all hot and bothered about it.

For me it isn't about saving gas the little I use on the surface isn't going to have much, if any, impact on the dive. I just find it more comfortable to use a snorkel on the surface.

Kind regards

Yes, every time it pops up you know there'll be a ton of posts. The very few times I've surface swam using snorkel I switch off on swimming on my back (no snorkel) and on my front (yes snorkel). Yes, I much more often just use the reg, but not as much when swimming out to start the dive even though the tank air you save is very minimal. Doesn't really matter which of these one does, just an excuse for another SB post on it.

I'm guessing that anybody who really wants an opinion from us on bringing a snorkel is probably relatively new and/or only doing relatively easy recreational dives. A snorkel might be an occasional annoyance, but I think that if it's really a (potential) problem then either the diver didn't get the training they should have for the dives they're doing or they've already been exposed to the debate. That applies whether they're doing advanced dives, or simple recreational dives with conditions that aren't necessarily present elsewhere, such as sea lions or kelp.

Wow! I didn't know everybody would get so fired up about my question. I like that everybody has strong opinions here on Scubaboard. I am new to the forum here, and I swear I did try searching about this subject here before posting this. I've been freediving/snorkeling since I moved here to Florida in 1990. Always using my snorkel, probably why it feels wierd to me not having it on during scuba dives. I am new to scuba. I got PADI OW certified last year, and been on less than 25 dives. I had to take a break from scuba for a while because.....well I got FAT, and felt unhealthy. So I set a goal for myself to lose 100lbs before I start diving again. I'm now 19 lbs away from my next dive and I'm getting excited! So lately I'm obsessed about streamlining my gear and keeping things simple. Getting rid of my retractors and hanging/dangly things. That's what made me think about my snorkel and my previous dive where nobody was wearing one. I feel that I did get the proper training and have tons of freediving under my belt for experience, but I always strive to learn more. I was just curious what everybody thought about the subject. I've already learned good things reading the comments on my post. Thanks everybody! I plan on keeping my snorkel in my BCD pocket for good measure, again trying to keep streamlined. Now I can't stop thinking about my next question. Should I buy one of those $80 dry type snorkels, or the old school rigid J-Tube type??? :idk:

Just kidding.

I normally don't bring it with me, but I'm new in diving. When I have gone drift diving they recommend not to bring it to avoid mask flooding or even losing it. The ironic thing here is that while drift diving, the probability to get stranded is bigger and that's when you might find your snorkel more useful.

Anyway, if it helps, here's an online article I recently read: 10 new rules of scuba diving on Scuba Diving magazine. Number 9 addresses your doubt.

I normally don't bring it with me, but I'm new in diving. When I have gone drift diving they recommend not to bring it to avoid mask flooding or even losing it. The ironic thing here is that while drift diving, the probability to get stranded is bigger and that's when you might find your snorkel more useful.

Who is it that recommends this? I have never heard that, and I have done a ton of drift dives. Although I still don't wear one when I dive, a drift dive is when I am almost certain to carry one just in case of a problem, for the very reason you state. I am at a loss to see why a snorkel would be any more of a problem on a drift dive than it is on a non-drift open water dive.

Getting rid of my retractors and hanging/dangly things.
Don't be so quick to ditch the retractors. Used properly, they can really streamline your gear.

Waste good gas at the surface, no way!
Yeah, because that 50 psi is so noticable and really shortens the dive. :rolleyes:

Maybe your tank's buoyant when empty, but mine sure as Hell isn't.
True. This works only for Aluminum cylinders. But, most of the divers needing advice won't have Steels; they'll have the standard AL80. You and I know when to ditch the steel cylinder.

You go missing overnight, then it's time to start thinking about what you need to ditch.
What? Don't you watch TV? If you wash up on a deserted island, you can use the tank to make a desalinator (if you're a hippie with no shoes, that is) :D

This is the main reason why I'm so undecided wearing one or not. As I see it, if I get into that situation, I just pull my snorkel out of my BCD's pocket and volia! Best of both worlds correct?

If you've got one there, I would----beats drowning, unless you're tired of living & YOU want it to be 'your time'.....:)............

---------- Post added May 12th, 2014 at 04:48 PM ----------

Never used one past my OW classes. Over here even the instructors say "the only good thing a snorkel is for...*dips mask into water with snorkel*"

You won't be seeing the bottom and nothing interesting is to be seen except green murk so there really is no need for a snorkel.

Hm...fully inflated dry suit and BCD, floating on my back, back against the waves makes me feel like I am on one of those inflatable water mats (i.e. never had this problem before). Feels really relaxing even in 40 degree Fahrenheit waters :)

Don't own a drysuit-----might be tuff in 91 degree surface temp water, might have a problem with hyperthermia onna 45 minute surface float...???....

I used to always have a snorkel on until last year. I do mostly warm water dives from a boat and don't find a need for it unless I think there might be a drift dive involved.

Originally Posted by AfterDark an 80
Waste good gas at the surface, no way!

Yeah, because that 50 psi is so noticable and really shortens the dive. :rolleyes:

A thirty, or more, minute surface swim, which I make on a regular basis, would drop over 600# each way on an AL80. On top of that, I was trained on 72's, which were the largest tanks available at the time ( I still dive them), and the price to fill them was four times the price of a gallon of cheap unleaded at the time, now it is bit over the price of a gallon, but still not cheap, It's great to dive off a boat or a have a shore dive with the dive site immediately accessible, but some of us don't have that option often.

All surface swims are not equal.

Bob
---------------------------------
On the Internet you can choose to be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom