snorkel and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tceylan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the DIR stance on using (or why not using) snorkel?

Specific to recreational open water with no overhead environment...

I haven't yet taken any DIR classes yet, so I don't know the DIR answer to this.
But so far my personal solution to the snorkel
problem has been using a small snorkel which is tucked under my
hog harness belt. If I leave it attached to my mask, it causes discomfort/drag
(and possibly more entanglement risk). Under my belt it's ready to be
quickly deployed and out of the way. Is this a non-DIR approach?

Many people choose to skip the snorkel. However, I find it a necessary piece
of equipment that allows me to be able to look in the water, swim more efficiently
for possibly hours without using my valuable air in emergency situations. There
are times when swimming on your back is not desirable. (eg: a shore dive with
surface swim with rocks/kelp/humans where you absolutely want to see where you
are heading to...)

It interferes with the long hose deployment.

What's the DIR stance on using (or why not using) snorkel?

Specific to recreational open water with no overhead environment...

I haven't yet taken any DIR classes yet, so I don't know the DIR answer to this.
But so far my personal solution to the snorkel
problem has been using a small snorkel which is tucked under my
hog harness belt. If I leave it attached to my mask, it causes discomfort/drag
(and possibly more entanglement risk). Under my belt it's ready to be
quickly deployed and out of the way. Is this a non-DIR approach?

Many people choose to skip the snorkel. However, I find it a necessary piece
of equipment that allows me to be able to look in the water, swim more efficiently
for possibly hours without using my valuable air in emergency situations. There
are times when swimming on your back is not desirable. (eg: a shore dive with
surface swim with rocks/kelp/humans where you absolutely want to see where you
are heading to...)

It has been answered before, but no a snorkel is not DIR in the strictest sense. It is an entanglement hazard and could interfere with long hose deployment.

I can see someone wanting to use a snorkel for long surface swims, especially in rough waters. One alternative solution would be to carry a fold up snorkel in a pocket and deploy when needed. On the other hand, if one feels they need a snorkel to be comfortable/feel safer in open water, the question could be asked if they need to be there in the first place. It should not be an issue to hold ones breath for a moment while peeking down?

But this is not an alternative DIR solution...

Hey...When did you get to be Staff?

I think he paid his "dues" on time. . .

Hi, the snorkel interferes with long hose or stage hose placement and is all but streamlined. Moreover and most important I really cannot imagine cases in which it can be useful. For instance, swimming face down on surface with doubles... Never done that: too tiresome ... Much easier to roll on your back and glide effortlessly with energy-saving lazy frogkicks. You sure that swimming face down with your gear on is more efficient? :confused:

Also, if the sea is too rough for you not to be able to avoid rocks swimming backward, well, perhaps this is not the best entry point ...

So, my 1 cent opinion: leave it at home :wink:

It won't interfere with long hose deployment since it's under my hog belt during the dive. Under the belt, it's no more entanglement hazard than my dive knife which is next to it on the hog harness belt. It's basically a fully DIR-compliant setup, except the snorkel tucked under the belt.

For strictly for open water/surface swim situations. Can a snorkel be DIR if the entanglement
and long hose deployment issues are addressed?

We used snorkels for part of my GUE-F class. :D
edit: I'm not kidding.

It won't interfere with long hose deployment since it's under my hog belt during the dive. Under the belt, it's no more entanglement hazard than my dive knife which is next to it on the hog harness belt. It's basically a fully DIR-compliant setup, except the snorkel tucked under the belt.

For strictly for open water/surface swim situations. Can a snorkel be DIR if the entanglement
and long hose deployment issues are addressed?

To answer your question, yes, the snorkel can be "DIR" for surface use. Take it off when you're diving so it doesn't get in the way.

My suggestion is to put it in a pocket rather than under the harness. Things that aren't clipped off have a tendancy to disappear, and it seems that by tucking it under your harness you're just begging for that to happen.

Best,
AJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom