snorkel and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are certainly instances when a snorkel is a valuable tool while open ocean diving. And certainly times when it would just be wrong to not have one. The right ways to do it, without worrying about whether it's DIR or not, is to either use a roll up placed in a pocket, or shove it up the leg of your wetsuit(assuming wet and not dry). Stuffing it under your harness while secure, also adds a snag point. I have also seen a snorkel placed in innertube straps ala backup light but again it poses more of a snag issue than if in a pocket or up your leg.

To answer your question, yes, the snorkel can be "DIR" for surface use. Take it off when you're diving so it doesn't get in the way.

My suggestion is to put it in a pocket rather than under the harness. Things that aren't clipped off have a tendancy to disappear, and it seems that by tucking it under your harness you're just begging for that to happen.

Best,
AJ

Just think of it like a David Copperfield trick, tuck it in here and watch it disapear, I mean who really would miss the snorkel? :wink:

For instance, swimming face down on surface with doubles... Never done that: too tiresome ... Much easier to roll on your back and glide effortlessly with energy-saving lazy frogkicks. You sure that swimming face down with your gear on is more efficient? :confused:

Also, if the sea is too rough for you not to be able to avoid rocks swimming backward, well, perhaps this is not the best entry point ...

So, my 1 cent opinion: leave it at home :wink:

I dive with single tank BPW. With a single tank, I find that face down is as efficient as on your back, but this is probably a personal preference...

For situations where you need to be looking into the water (looking for a line-up, avoiding kelp/jellyfish/fishnet/humans, etc.) I prefer face down... But this happens
rarely. Most of the time I'm on my back...

I'll sometimes carry a folding snorkle in my pocket. Otherwise I just use a snorkle when I "snorkle".

Great for something to do during your surface interval. Just staying on top of the water looking down at ciritters, etc.

Practicing the back kick?

John

That plus all the other kicks.
Kicks are now practiced in the water rather than on picnic benches. The resistance from the water is much more realistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom