Snorkel for DM Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a requirement for the 800 snorkel swim to have your face in the water and breathe with a snorkel. However, I don't think it is a requirement for the tired diver tow.

One thing I have found that helps me with extended snorkel breathing while working hard is that I exhale through my nose periodically. This refreshes the air in my snorkel since I do not exhale used air into it on that breath. This helps to prevent me from increasing my CO2 since I get totally fresh air. Note: I do use a purge mask so exhaling through my nose is very easy to do in a large volume, the next breath is a bit deep but the lack of CO2 buildup is worth it.

not a requirement of tired diver tow..easiest method is victim on back,rescuer grasp valve/1st stage of victim ,keep arms straight and kick..This way you can constantly evaluate victim and push away easily if victim becomes agitated. If being able to view whare you are going a "dosey-doe' position is possible.Last choice for myself would be a push tow,as there is no ability to monitor victim easily,but it would be easy for rescuer to use snorkel.

I started my DM stamina tests the other day. So far so good. Did the tired diver tow on snorkel. Even though I scored a 4, the last 30ft was a killer. Could not get enough air through the snorkel. That led to taking shorter faster breaths which caused more issues...not clearing the CO2. Could not wait to spit that thing out. By the way, this was on a folding Omega snorkel (this could be the problem too).

That being said, is there a larger diameter snorkel on the market that would make life easier or would using a "real" snorkel make any difference. I understand the larger diameter will make clearing more difficult. I have the 800 yd snorkel swim coming up and want to make things a little easier. Thanks for the input.

Just feel lucky my instructor made me do all the swimming test in one night! It sucked!

not a requirement of tired diver tow..easiest method is victim on back,rescuer grasp valve/1st stage of victim ,keep arms straight and kick..This way you can constantly evaluate victim and push away easily if victim becomes agitated. If being able to view whare you are going a "dosey-doe' position is possible.Last choice for myself would be a push tow,as there is no ability to monitor victim easily,but it would be easy for rescuer to use snorkel.

Actually, the best way for the OP to see where he was going WAS the snorkel swim tow while looking at the lines on the bottom of the pool. And if the "victim" became agitated, I would push him underwater and demand a better one. :wink:

"I just checked my PADI Instructor manual, 1999 edition with updates thru 2002 included."

2002 was A LONG TIME AGO - however to retierate what many pros have already said - this is not a rescue evaluation, it is a timed stamina exercise. You can do any tow you want as long as both people are in full scuba, which includes snorkel - use what you want, have the victim assist if you want, but the most efficient way is (IMHO) tired diver tow, your face in the water, snorkel in, have the victim head back and butt up to be streamlined, and gogogogo. Be careful not to whack his head on the turns.

Again, as purely a test of stamina, me and my DMT buddy opted for the push (victim's feet on your shoulders), regulator in mouth. Found it the fastest way to do this in the open ocean (no turns necessary). Just head down and kick. Both of us got 5's.

I was instructed that the snorkel was a requirement for the test. Tired diver was on her back. I was towing by the valve, face first in the water. I agree, in real life, other possibly better techniques may have been better. However, this test is a timed 200yd tow, so time is of the essence.

The inert diver tow does not have to be performed with the snorkel in.

Your instructor may have suggested that to you because if you have your face in the water then breathing is easier with the snorkel than continuously lifting your head out of the water.

In terms of standards you could have also put the regulator in your mouth or pulled the diver along "backwards" (ie. on your back instead of your front), in which case you can breathe normally without the snorkel. You are also permitted to "push" the diver instead of pulling them, which can lead to faster times if you are one of those people who can use their flippers more efficiently in that position.

That said: a 4 is good. Don't obsess about it.

R..

Actually, the best way for the OP to see where he was going WAS the snorkel swim tow while looking at the lines on the bottom of the pool. And if the "victim" became agitated, I would push him underwater and demand a better one. :wink:

looking at the lines on the bottom of the pool is ok if you are in a pool.
As to pushing a victim underwater I would call that an assault,not a rescue.
Yes the 100yd tow is a stamina test, but still should be done in an effective manner as if it is a rescue evaluation.

I agree completely with Diver0001 & Watboy above. I just finished teaching a large PADI DM class and all went for the "push" on the tow (I had them in a quarry where the could push in one straight line as turns kill the time). Just remember as said above, 4 is an excellent score and you are well on your way to the minimum 12 points. If you do the 15 minute tread and keep your hands out of the water for the full 2 minutes it's an automatic 5 points for a total of 9, with only the two swims remaining. Go for it!

Yes the 100yd tow is a stamina test, but still should be done in an effective manner as if it is a rescue evaluation.
Or not.

looking at the lines on the bottom of the pool is ok if you are in a pool.
As to pushing a victim underwater I would call that an assault,not a rescue.

there is nothing in the standard to support that this should resemble a rescue evaluation in any way - here's the the actual text. note the caveat - it is NOT a rescue evaluation.

Exercise 4: 100 Metre/Yard Inert Diver Tow – At the surface, have candidates tow (or
push) a diver for 100 metres/yards nonstop without assistance. Both divers have on full
scuba equipment. This is a swimming power evaluation (speed-against-drag) not a rescue
evaluation. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom