Snorkel for DM Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_frog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I started my DM stamina tests the other day. So far so good. Did the tired diver tow on snorkel. Even though I scored a 4, the last 30ft was a killer. Could not get enough air through the snorkel. That led to taking shorter faster breaths which caused more issues...not clearing the CO2. Could not wait to spit that thing out. By the way, this was on a folding Omega snorkel (this could be the problem too).

That being said, is there a larger diameter snorkel on the market that would make life easier or would using a "real" snorkel make any difference. I understand the larger diameter will make clearing more difficult. I have the 800 yd snorkel swim coming up and want to make things a little easier. Thanks for the input.

• Why were you using the snorkel during the tired diver tow?
  • More specifically, what was your body position during the tow? (face down while pushing or on back behind tired diver while pulling)
  • Is using one's snorkel a mandatory part of the test?

So long as both you and the tired diver are independently positively buoyant at the surface, you can simply direct your efforts to towing the diver and that shouldn't require using your snorkel. I can think of several reasons why not having your mouth on a snorkel might be useful in real-life, tired diver scenario (yelling out to get help, talking to the tired diver to remain calm, etc.).

I was instructed that the snorkel was a requirement for the test. Tired diver was on her back. I was towing by the valve, face first in the water. I agree, in real life, other possibly better techniques may have been better. However, this test is a timed 200yd tow, so time is of the essence.

I was instructed that the snorkel was a requirement for the test. Tired diver was on her back. I was towing by the valve, face first in the water. I agree, in real life, other possibly better techniques may have been better. However, this test is a timed 200yd tow, so time is of the essence.
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. I thought the PADI DM tired diver tow was only 100 yd.

So you're telling me that you can tow the tired diver faster in that position...than say being on your back? I witness DMs towing tired divers on occasion at one of my local sites, and I have yet to observe anyone towing in the manner you describe.

I suppose if the instructor required you to use the snorkel and tow while your face was down in the water, then that's how you have to do the test. :idk:

From which agency are you obtaining DM certification?

FWIW, I'm not a certified DM, so I'm just asking these questions out of ignorance.

Omer Zoom is a large bore snorkel. It is rigid enough for freediving yet I can still fold it up and put it into a pocket.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. I thought the PADI DM tired diver tow was only 100 yd.

So you're telling me that you can tow the tired diver faster in that position...than say being on your back? I witness DMs towing tired divers on occasion at one of my local sites, and I have yet to observe anyone towing in the manner you describe.

I suppose if the instructor required you to use the snorkel and tow while your face was down in the water, then that's how you have to do the test. :idk:

From which agency are you obtaining DM certification?

FWIW, I'm not a certified DM, so I'm just asking these questions out of ignorance.

The cert is through PADI. The test was 4 lengths of the pool. I double checked and you're right, it is a 100yd tow. Instructor suggested the method I used because you can see where you are going and create less resistance in the water. Who an I to argue. I'm 6ft, 285 lbs and did it in 3 min. I'm not going to complain.

Omer Zoom is a large bore snorkel. It is rigid enough for freediving yet I can still fold it up and put it into a pocket.

Thanks. I'll look for that.

The cert is through PADI. The test was 4 lengths of the pool. I double checked and you're right, it is a 100yd tow. Instructor suggested the method I used because you can see where you are going and create less resistance in the water. Who an I to argue. I'm 6ft, 285 lbs and did it in 3 min. I'm not going to complain.
Good job on toughing it out.

I don't agree with your instructor...but who am I to argue? :wink:
Personally, I would prioritize visualizing the tired diver over maintaining view of exactly where we're going 100% of the time. Even if I'm facing backward I can still look over my shoulder every now and then to check our heading. The rest of the time I can make sure that the tired diver's head is above water and that he/she is OK overall. If the condition of the tired diver is deteriorating, I can call for help, communicate back and forth with other surface support, or give rescue breaths (when appropriate).

I do understand that this is more of a stamina test than a real-life rescue scenario.

Best of luck with the rest of your training.

It is a requirement for the 800 snorkel swim to have your face in the water and breathe with a snorkel. However, I don't think it is a requirement for the tired diver tow.

One thing I have found that helps me with extended snorkel breathing while working hard is that I exhale through my nose periodically. This refreshes the air in my snorkel since I do not exhale used air into it on that breath. This helps to prevent me from increasing my CO2 since I get totally fresh air. Note: I do use a purge mask so exhaling through my nose is very easy to do in a large volume, the next breath is a bit deep but the lack of CO2 buildup is worth it.

Thanks for the tip. I do have a purge mask as a spare. I'll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom