Snorkel for DM Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Diver0001: You describe the broad framework set up by PADI standards as something that affords instructors the creativity to "look for efficient ways to get things done." I think there's a tendency for some instructors (how many?) to use this creative wiggle room to get things done quickly, rather than in a manner that benefits the student. We can talk all we want about re-writing standards so that the minimum acceptable performance is raised, but in the end, I think the problem lies in the fact that some people show an inherent aptitude for teaching and some don't. Some people possess that special gift of being able to help guide different students with various personalities to proficiency, whereas others are busy checking off boxes on a dive slate. Some people are always looking for ways to improve instructional methods, whereas some don't. I don't know whether such natural deficiencies in teaching are tractable via mentoring...or whether those people should have been screened out prior to getting certified as instructors in the first place. For better and for worse, it's pretty clear that PADI has made significant compromises in maintaining a large corps of instructors throughout the world. In terms of instruction, it appears that the emphasis is on quantity over quality.

@Diver0001: You describe the broad framework set up by PADI standards as something that affords instructors the creativity to "look for efficient ways to get things done." I think there's a tendency for some instructors (how many?) to use this creative wiggle room to get things done quickly, rather than in a manner that benefits the student.
Well.... Getting things done efficiently/effectively and getting them done "quickly" are not necessarily incompatible but I understand the point you're trying to make and I would tend to agree. I suspect, however, that you and I may not assign the same motivations for why this is done.

We can talk all we want about re-writing standards so that the minimum acceptable performance is raised, but in the end, I think the problem lies in the fact that some people show an inherent aptitude for teaching and some don't. Some people possess that special gift of being able to help guide different students with various personalities to proficiency, whereas others are busy checking off boxes on a dive slate.
Well, you have me at a disadvantage because I really don't know what makes one person a more effective teacher than another. I guess if I project it onto my day-job, which I know more about, then I would say that "talent" is one aspect but the ability to objectively review ones own performance and a willingness/need to learn and improve is a much more central element.

Some people are always looking for ways to improve instructional methods, whereas some don't. I don't know whether such natural deficiencies in teaching are tractable via mentoring...or whether those people should have been screened out prior to getting certified as instructors in the first place. For better and for worse, it's pretty clear that PADI has made significant compromises in maintaining a large corps of instructors throughout the world.

I think small agencies have the same problem but it just doesn't show up the same way because it gets less air-time.

R..

Use a snorkel that your comfortable with. If the one your using is not comfortable get another. Ensure that the equipment your using does not affect your performance as it will reduce your scores. Equipment has the advantages and disadvantages.

Stay fit!

Keep diving and have fun!!!

Now that the thread has returned to the focus of the OP's question – about how to do well on his upcoming 800 yard snorkel test.
1. Don't use a large bore snorkel – that increases dead air space. boulderjohn mentioned this.
2. Avoid folding or flex snorkels if they restrict airflow at the fold/flex. The OP mentioned this.
3. Use whatever fins you find most efficient – bracko mentioned this.
4. Exhale completely to expel more CO2 – didn't see this mentioned.
5. Practice.

Back
Top Bottom