Snorkel for free diving (semi-dry or dry?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

featherbrain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to the snorkeling world and have pretty much just used a run of the mill snorkel most of the time. I do enjoy casual free diving (nothing major, usually not more than 15-20 feet for a minute or two) and was wondering what would be the best snorkel for me. I've read that when free diving a dry snorkel can be a pain carrying down a column of air with you, but then I've read people saying they never notice it.
Anybody have any thoughts/tips?

Thanks!

Forget the gimmicky dry and semi dry's. Get a simple J tube. I sell one for under 20 bucks shipped and it's what I use and recommend to all my students.

I was free diving mostly pretty shallow (20-30 feet with a max or 55 feet) recently and used a J with a purge on the bottom but nothing on the top. Worked fine. I don't think it really matters, I'm going to exhale to purge the snorkel no matter what.

The dry snorkel is only to keep the splash on top from coming in, it has absolutely nothing to do with it's performance underwater or with how you're going to have to clear it anyhow once you surface. I took up the habit of just spitting out my snorkel altogether when I dive, that way I don't have to think about saving air to clear my snorkel, I surface and breath, then clear, reset and go-on.

If you say you do freediving then you can just use a common one (J), if you like to dive into caves though, i suggest you use a very flexible one, as this will result in you not getting your mask ripped off. also they are sold at 10€ at good quality
regards

I agree with Jim Lapenta here. I would suggest that you get a snorkel with a flex tube though. I generally am not a fan of anything fancier than a standard snorkel with fex tube and bottom one way purge. Barrel size is everything- bigger diameter is better.
DivemasterDennis

I snorkel and do relatively shallow (to 50' or so) free-diving in fairly choppy water 5 or 6 days a week as a part of my daily exercise routine, and I agree with much of the above advice, with some exceptions:

I prefer to use a rigid J snorkel with a purge valve. I leave the top wide open so it will breathe better. If a wave happens to splash in I just blow it right out again, no matter which part of the breathing cycle I'm in. It's a reflex action. Once you learn how to use an open-tube snorkel properly you will have no need for any of those gimmicks like splash-guards, dry valves, etc. I do like the purge valve, though, as I find that it makes clearing the snorkel much easier during long swims in choppy water. I don't really see any downside to having a purge valve, although the "real" freedivers generally won't use them. Extra drag, you know!

I find a rigid snorkel to be incredibly convenient (it has to be a good fit, of course). The mouthpiece stays right where you want it to be all of the time. You don't even have to bite down, and there's very little pressure on your teeth or gums while you're swimming. It's especially handy in waves and rough water. With a flex snorkel you need to be biting down constantly. That's no way to relax and enjoy! I've been using the same snorkel for over 4 years now (that's over 1,000 dives) in all sorts of conditions and there are still no tooth indentations on the mouthpiece.

I use one of those super-cheap US Divers snorkels that they sell at WalMart for around $5.00. (I found mine on the bottom, though). I use it because the curvature fits my face. I yanked off the silly splash-guard and added a short piece of vinyl tubing (bought for a couple of bucks at the hardware store) to replace it. I also have a fancy, expensive backup snorkel, but it's so big and clunky that I prefer to use my original.

At the end of a deeper or longer-duration dive I generally spit out the mouthpiece right before I surface anyway, so at that point it really doesn't matter what kind of a snorkel it is. I just open my mouth, give my head a little shake and it's out. However, on the shorter, shallower dives that don't involve air hunger I just leave the snorkel in, in which case I begin clearing it right before I surface. Works great.

I'd stay away from the dry snorkels, as those things suck (quite literally) when you dive. They're more for beginners who stay on the surface and haven't learned the proper breathing techniques yet. I consider them to be the equivalent of a bicycle with training wheels.

Agree with Dennis. I freedive and spearfish 50-60ft and snorkel for a living. My boyfriend has one of those weird bobble top snorkels and I cant STAND them. They are top heavy on the surface and sometimes get stuck in the "no water in" position = no air in lol. A nice cheap with flex at the bottom and a purge works. I too think mine is a cheapie. Maybe $20.

Honestly.... its all about what YOU think is comfortable. We can all go about what we use and like but in reality it doesn't make a bit of difference, its up to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom