Snorkel: Left or right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, it used to be taught, air supply right, including snorkel. In any case, I rarely use a snorkel for SCUBA but whether free diving or SCUBA, if I am actually wearing it then it goes right. I use a roll up snorkel for some SCUBA missions where I might need to surface swim face down (prefer on my back, no snorkel for surface swimming except when using a dh regulator).

And I will not change to suit whatever is in fashion now. Right is right.

N

Actually the fashion is about 40+ years old.... But do as you will...
11-NOV-1982.jpg

SCHHHHNORKEL............schnorchel..........snorkel.........great question?

Personally, I leave it on the right side... of the cupboard it's been placed in about 5 years ago when I quit snorkelling.

For me they've always been a hindrance and I no longer use one. Swim on your back or simply on your front with your reg in. If your worried about using too much air from your cylinder then you're not planning your dives safely.

The snorkel had been put in to storage (with the ankle weights - and don't start me on them!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never do, but if I had a really long surface swim, wanted to look down (if you could see the bottom) and then were to descend to a really deep dive, I would consider using the snorkel to save air.

Actually the fashion is about 40+ years old.... But do as you will...

Well, I will do as I please, thanks, :) and did. And 40 years ago I was already an experienced diver and probably did not take too much instruction from advertisement copy. Your ad is 1982, I had been diving actively nearly 16 years. And, just so you know, then as now, I largely then dove and still dive a double hose regulator and a snorkel is in the way on either side equally. Which is why long ago it found it's way, first tucked through my swimsuit, then rolled up in a pocket and then graduated to the pile o'things I never use. Air sources right, buoyancy and monitoring left.

I will take your old ad and raise you an older one:

books3.jpg

68240028_o.jpg

77882725_o.jpg

4db6_1.jpg

And while arguing about useless and nearly useless things (like snorkels), y'all wear your masks incorrectly during surface interval as well:

seahunt.jpg

N

I prefer mine in a pocket. Left or right :)

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

I wish I could be transported back in time. I would buy about 50 of those full scuba outfits for $490 ea. and sell them now. It makes me look around at things now to see if anything would be worth buying and collecting for later.

If we all did that, old train sets wouldn't be worth much today. Whatever you decide to buy, keep the box!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom