Snorkel: Left or right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but we'd have a lot of really cool train sets!.... and we'd be able to afford them.

Or use the hell out of it and cherish the memory.

But I will take a few of those SCUBA sets myself if we are taking orders. But, $490 in 1962 is about the same as $3,900 now!

N

I wish I could be transported back in time. I would buy about 50 of those full scuba outfits for $490 ea. and sell them now. It makes me look around at things now to see if anything would be worth buying and collecting for later.

Wouldn't advise it Eric. Things today become obsolete like next year (unless you have an APP for it). I've got some old used audio and VHS cassette tapes I could sell you. And oh, some really weird thing hanging in the boat house--I think it is a regulator someone used in the 50s?

For me they've always been a hindrance and I no longer use one. Swim on your back or simply on your front with your reg in. If your worried about using too much air from your cylinder then you're not planning your dives safely.

The snorkel had been put in to storage (with the ankle weights - and don't start me on them!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the length of the surface swim, conditions etc. Swimming on your back isn't great with kelp around and a long surface swim out to a buoy on a reg fed by a fixed volume or air is a waste of good air that could be used below surface. Which would you prefer - swim on the surface for 5 mins using air from a tank or using free air? Know which my choice is.

Nothing to do with diving safely or otherwise. I also have the snorkel as a safety device should I need it if conditions have changed on the surface during the dive. For the space it takes ( I can bungee it to my BP&W if I want to), it is worth the minor hassle.

I never do, but if I had a really long surface swim, wanted to look down (if you could see the bottom) and then were to descend to a really deep dive, I would consider using the snorkel to save air.

Sometimes the best things to see aren't on the bottom (seals/dolphins etc) but i know what you meant.

My biggest concern with using a snorkel on the surface in a facedown position swimming in to shore is the possibility of being ran over by a boat (unless you are pulling a dive flag along and that guarantees nothing). If you think this doesn't happen just look at manatees and other such animals that swim near the surface. But, I would assume all the people advocating the facedown snorkel swimming plan for that.

Like a few others - after my OW I removed the snorkel and never looked back - in rough sea I swim on my back and exhale trickle air when a wave comes at me. You get used to it after awhile - long surface swims (800m-1000m) in huge rollers ~5+' are not a problem even with multiple tanks. It's too dangerous around here to have my head in the water snorkeling. With waves taller then the snorkel the water comes in at a considerable rate even with a good dry snorkel.

Wouldn't advise it Eric. Things today become obsolete like next year (unless you have an APP for it). I've got some old used audio and VHS cassette tapes I could sell you. And oh, some really weird thing hanging in the boat house--I think it is a regulator someone used in the 50s?
Show a pic of the old regulator.

I had a 1970 Dodge Charger than I bought for $800 in 1980.
That car now the way it was completely stock would be worth not a penny less than 50K.
I also had a 1972 'Cuda with a hot 340 in it that would be worth even more. I payed $1200 for it in 1983.
The only reason I got rid of those cars was because my new wife wanted me to grow up and give up my hot rod ways, and because all the chevy guys made fun of me....actually not, screw them! I loved those cars.
Those $499 scuba sets now if they were new in the box, who knows? but at least I know a lot more than $499.

Love looking at those old ads. Interesting nobody commented on their lack of BC's.

Show a pic of the old regulator.

My wife is away for a while. I don't know how to do that........But the first stage is kind of a square thing.

Love looking at those old ads. Interesting nobody commented on their lack of BC's.

BTW - for some of us those ads are not that old... and we learned to dive without a BC and we are still here to talk about it... :)

Back
Top Bottom