Snorkel Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clay357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just wondering, how often do you need/use your snorkle when you dive?
When we did our OW, the snorkle was optional. The last boat dive we did, not one diver had a snorkle. This included a DM and instructor. I don't wear one yet because I have not had to and just think it will be in my way. Just trying to get a different point of view.

I don't often wear a snorkel. Only when teaching a class (as dictated by standards), or in the ocean or large body of water where I may need to protect my airway or if I know I will have to do a long surface swim. To be honest, except for the class, I don't actually "wear" it, unless needed, I keep it tucked away in a pocket to deploy when I need it(folding pocket snorkel). Snorkels are pretty useless in a cave & also an entanglement hazard in such environments.

I use my cave snorkel on nearly every dive.

Every dive on Scuba when not using a full face mask. A previous post explains it:

It is a matter of gas conservation. You can't always anchor right above where you want to dive or can't always surface right under the boat. Surface swims are much more comfortable with a snorkel if you don't want to waste the gas on your back. Something has to go really wrong, or I am out of bottom time, to get me aboard with more than 300 PSI on a recreation dive.

Adjusting your weight for neutral buoyancy is also a factor. A snorkel's value is diminished if your life-jacket BC is ¾ full of air.

Snorkels also let you entertain yourself on the surface while waiting for other divers to get in the water or up the ladder. The view underwater is more interesting to me. I guess there is no reason to use a snorkel if you don’t mind pushing doubles through the water on a no-D dive or cutting your bottom time. I leave the snorkel onboard when using closed-circuit or surface supply.

However, if you are not comfortable using a snorkel, leave it home or freedive until you are.

I'm still using the same snorkel I bought when I was 16. I have done mainly beach diving, often with rough surf, and would not even consider diving without it under those conditions. You COULD use your scuba for entry and exit but then you'd have less bottom time. And what if you just couldn't bring yourself to ascend until your air was completely gone? I suppose that if you are mainly boat diving and start your dive up-current and are good at navigating and can complete your dive ending up right under the boat then no, you would not need a snorkel. Mine may have gotten snagged in kelp a time or two but no big deal. BTW my snorkel is now 42 years old. Another factor is that I often go free diving and I would have to re-attach my snorkel to my mask and vise versa.

A snorkel is an essential piece of survival gear. You need one for almost all open water dives. The only time I take mine off is when I'm doing overhead environment dives.
A snorkel is a piece of gear that when you need it you need it bad.
Being a good snorkeler will help you be a better scuba diver (it will add life saving skills, not taught by most training agencies today).
Snorkel s need to be streamlined. That's a problem in today's market place. Most snorkels have to many features on them. All you need is a mouth piece, a tube, and a keeper. If you look at Free Divers (spear fishermen, they are the real experts) their snorkels are very simple and very streamlined.
Keep your snorkel ( get a streamline one), learn how to use it, and it may save you someday.

Snorkel! What's a snorkel? Only time I even put a snorkel on is when teaching. Otherwise it doesnt see the light of day. It might be good for getting bugs in the corner but otherwise I think its used in place of good diving skills.

A snorkel is an essential piece of survival gear.

Really? I have gone 10 years without one and have not come close to needing one even once. How long do you think it will take before it becomes apparent that it is essential, 20 years, or 30 maybe? I'll take my chances. What other gear do you take that you only need once every 20 years?

When boat diving I never use it.
When shore diving I sometimes use it. I do not use it on a shore dive if the water is flat and there is little or no kelp.
If the conditions are rougher I might use it and if there is kelp that I might have to cross on my belly on the surface (kelp crawl) then I use it. Another time I use it is when I am using my double hose regulator. Surface swimming on your back with a double hose will cause them to free flow, so snorkeling on the surface is almost mandatory.

Sometimes I like to just snorkel out to my drop point and look down because the vis is so good that I like to take in the sights as I surface swim.

I don't have any hangups about snorkels like some people who seem to find it their duty to bash and belittle those who use snorkels.. I have a very neutral attitude towards them and see them as a very valuable tool when the need arises.

I am also a freediver so snorkeling is second nature to me. I don't use a long hose wrapped around my neck when I scuba dive so deployment of a long hosed reg is a non issue for me. I solo dive much of the time so I only have one second stage.

I use a very simple straight tube J style snorkel with no purge valves or dry valves.

I almost never wear mine. I had it on me when I did my ocean dives, but I never use it here at home in the quarries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom