Snorkel Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked that same question to myself the other day when I went diving..... however my best answer would be that if it doesn't bother you to have it handy then it's always good to have around just in case, someday it may just save your life :) If my dive instructor always make it a point to wear a snorkel (this is a guy who has tons of experience) then who am I to not wear one. But then again it's different for everybody.... :)

Never, outside of a PADI class. I usually toss it in the gear bag when packing for warm water trips, but I've never taken it out once I got there.

Last edited:
It'll more than halve the time for transport and the rescue breathing that is provided is damn near perfect, but then you, who have never done it and want to believe what you remember (perhaps) some random instructor saying would rather not listen to the truth. But that's neither here nor there, the point is that you stated:

... and I showed you where it might, in fact, be a piece of safety equipment.

Let me assure you (backed by Al Pierce's book "Scuba Lifesaving") that it works, really well. Try it and you'll find out that your B.S. meter is in desperate need of recalibration.

So I should instead take the word of some random Internet person. Ok.

I don't think mouth to snorkel breathing would even work with most of the snorkels sold today. If it's got any kind of goofy vent at the top you may not be able to get a seal. Not to mention the purge valve.....

I wear one all the time. I like to have my face in the water to check out the ocean life as much as possible and every breath on the snorkle is one less breath out of my tank. If I'm waiting for others to enter the water before we descend, I like to get a look at the surroundings underneath us and I don't like wasting tank air on the surface.

I wear and use my snorkel. As previously mentioned, I like it for the surface swims where I don't have to use up the gas in my tank. Also, I'll spend a considerable amount of time on the surface before dives, between dives, and/or after dives breathing through the snorkel while just watching what's going on below the surface.

I've never had the snorkel get in my way, nor have I ever confused my snorkel for my power inflator. Bottom line for me is that to use or not to use is a personal choice. I like to use mine. If someone else doesn't, that's their choice and it just doesn't matter to me.

I wear and use my snorkel. As previously mentioned, I like it for the surface swims where I don't have to use up the gas in my tank. Also, I'll spend a considerable amount of time on the surface before dives, between dives, and/or after dives breathing through the snorkel while just watching what's going on below the surface.

I've never had the snorkel get in my way, nor have I ever confused my snorkel for my power inflator. Bottom line for me is that to use or not to use is a personal choice. I like to use mine. If someone else doesn't, that's their choice and it just doesn't matter to me.

It is personal preference. I can't see where all these problems are coming from. I've never mistaken it for my regulator, it has much less drag than a camera, speargun or lobster gear, it doesn't cause my mask to leak. If I was having problems with my snorkel, I wouldn't use it either, I don't even know it's there. If I was going in caves or wrecks, I would leave it behind.

I asked that same question to myself the other day when I went diving..... however my best answer would be that if it doesn't bother you to have it handy then it's always good to have around just in case, someday it may just save your life :) If my dive instructor always make it a point to wear a snorkel (this is a guy who has tons of experience) then who am I to not wear one. But then again it's different for everybody.... :)

How does a snorkel save your life? When you use a snorkel, you must be on the surface already.:idk:

Also, the reason why your instructor wears a snorkel all the time is because of the organization's doctrine that he/she is teaching for. They have to follow laid out doctrines or else they won't get the organization's support if things were to go awry.

As a dive guide, I use my old Scubapro twim chamber snorkel on every dive to conserve air,surface swims,and it looks so damn professional with the rest of my gear. Mainly I guess it just comes from old habit of having it double secured to my mask strap. I want everyone to wear a snorkel.....I like finding them!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

So I should instead take the word of some random Internet person. Ok.

I don't think mouth to snorkel breathing would even work with most of the snorkels sold today. If it's got any kind of goofy vent at the top you may not be able to get a seal. Not to mention the purge valve.....
That's what happens when you buy gear of a crappy design, for mouth to snorkel to work you need to use a simple J-type snorkel without useless do-dads.

I suspect that this is the first time I've been referred to as a "random internet person.":rofl3:
How does a snorkel save your life? When you use a snorkel, you must be on the surface already.:idk:

Also, the reason why your instructor wears a snorkel all the time is because of the organization's doctrine that he/she is teaching for. They have to follow laid out doctrines or else they won't get the organization's support if things were to go awry.
Whenever I've had to make a long swim over a thick kelp bed I've been thankful for my snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom