snorkel yes, snorkel no

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcopalla

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
IMRHO
Snorkel is an essential safety pice of equipment:
If you go out far from the boat, in case of current or swell or if you have to swim and you go OOA... without snorkel is a real pain. isn't it?
Also if you are with your students, good example...

but rarely I see it even on Instructors....

I always start my diving with snorkel on, then I put it in my BC left poket or if I'm with my tech Wings I put it in a back poket.
I'm the only one?

peace,
m.

That is a great idea marcopalla. I think I shall get a fold able snorkel to stash in my BC. I really hate the thing floating around my head for the duration of the dive and as a newbie, I will not leave shore without one.

I carry one of these in my BC pocket, Velcro attachment on mask, ready to slap on. Use it now and then. Pocket snorkel

p_snorkels_pocket_fold1.jpg

Last edited:
I have not needed a snorkel when diving yet, and I find them a pain, so I don't wear one. In swell I don't have any problem regulating my breathing in time with waves, or I usually have enough air in my tank to last for a long time so I just keep my reg in. Also boats are live where I dive so I do not have to so surface swims on boat dives as the boat comes to collect me. I do have surface swims sometimes on shore dives but I either swim on my back or on my front with reg in, as I rarely end shore dives because air.

To each their own really. I just disagree that it is an essential bit of safety gear.

The folding one I have leaks so I dont use it. I take my old stand by $10 cheapie that works great and slide it through a couple of D rings and it is out of the way until I need it.

marcopallam

If you find use for your snorkel in your diving (as I do) you have all of the answer you need.

Pete

So far the only time i have a need for my snorkel is when I'm fighting off frisky sea lions :m16: (and when I'm helping with a class). Everyone I dive with, except new initiates, swims on his/her back.

But in the interest of fending off evil situations, perhaps I'll carry a folding one in my dry suit pocket:snorkel2:

If you find use for your snorkel in your diving (as I do) you have all of the answer you need.
Pete

ok,
but I'd like to know if YOU bring and WHERE you put it,
on mask side for me is really a p.i.t.a...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom