Snorkeling pics from Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

Testudo, I did not make it out to the coral gardens that you described on your website. There was a lot of current off Rum Point (going east to west), so I wasn't sure if it was safe to swim out to the NW to the coral gardens. Plus, I was a little concerned about being run over by a boat or jet ski, although I saw very little boat traffic on both of the days I snorkeled near Rum Point. On your website, you may want to add something about safety concerns for some of your sites. I did snorkel a little ways off the Rum Point Pier to the right (north) and came across one nice, isolated coral head. I think that is where I took the first photo that I posted.

My camera is a Canon PowerShot A630, 8 mgp, with a Canon housing. Almost all the pictures were taken with ambient light, although I occasionally use the camera's flash for photos in crevices or shadows. The camera is now about 3 and a half years old, so it is not state-of-the-art and was a middle-of-the-road point & shoot when I bought it. I am considering moving up to a Canon S or G camera, but both of those (especially the G) are bulkier than what I presently have. I think it's good to keep things simple when snorkeling (that's one of the advantages of snorkeling vs. scuba), and a big, bulky camera might be a hassle.

Wow that just goes to show you, you can still get awesome pictures with a plain old point and shot. It's the photographer not just the camera.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

Testudo, I did not make it out to the coral gardens that you described on your website. There was a lot of current off Rum Point (going east to west), so I wasn't sure if it was safe to swim out to the NW to the coral gardens. Plus, I was a little concerned about being run over by a boat or jet ski, although I saw very little boat traffic on both of the days I snorkeled near Rum Point. On your website, you may want to add something about safety concerns for some of your sites. I did snorkel a little ways off the Rum Point Pier to the right (north) and came across one nice, isolated coral head. I think that is where I took the first photo that I posted..

I guess you'll just have to make a return trip someday:wink:. Boat traffic is not usually an issue, jet skis are a big concern on Sundays when the locals are out cruising around Rum Point and when the tour flotillas stop by.

I will usually tow a visual aid at those times or in the evenings when the sun is low on the horizon.

IMGP1248.JPG

Snorkeler Avoidance Gear

Those pictures are amazing. I am determined to get over to Coral Gardens this year....in two weeks! Last year, the weather did not cooperate. I agree about concern about getting run over by boats and jet skis. Having a marker is a good idea.

The current was too strong for my liking to head out to the Coral Gardens over NYE weekend. I did the shore route drift like Dave C and floated with the current. As it was a New Year's Day snorkel and I was still recovering from the night's festivities I didn't bring my camera. Of course, closest encounter with an Eagle Ray to date (usually they dart once sighting me) then another 50 yards away, then a nice sighting of a sleeping Nurse Shark in a coral cluster.

I did bring the camera the next day to the Wonderland site by the North Side Cemetery over to Chisholm's Grocery. Got bounced around a bit with the surge and visability was less than stellar, but oh my the coral...

IMGP0043.JPG

IMGP0042.JPG

IMGP0037.JPG

IMGP0030.JPG

IMGP0015.JPG

IMGP0022.JPG

Some more images on my Picasa album

Dave C.,

What % of your body weight do you use for your weigh belt when snorkeling? I'm just under 200lbs and tried 8 lbs in shallow water with little success. Not sure if I need more weight or need to reach a little greater depth to achieve neutral buoyancy.

I don't think there is an exact formula. I weigh 180 lb, and with a shorty wetsuit I use 10-11 lb. With this, I am still fairly buoyant at depths less than 10 ft. For example, at a depth of 5 ft. I have to hold on to a rock (not coral!) to take a photo, although the weight belt definitely helps with this. I think you could use more than 8 lb, but I'm surprised you didn't see some effect from using 8 lb. Any extra weight should help. Otherwise, you are just a cork.

I liked your coral photos, although the visibility wasn't as good as when I was there.

Here is another snorkeling photo from Grand Cayman that came out fairly well. This is the resident barracuda that lives under the pier at Rum Point:
5286982241_dc85df2e59_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom