Snorkeling with humpbanks in the Silverbank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

julie5220

New
Reaction score
I didn't find a lot of info about swimming with the humpbacks while I was researching last month, so I figured I'd come back to post after our AMAZING trip. I can't barely even describe how incredible the experience is. I will try, though, for others who may be interested in going.

We went with the Turks & Caicos Aggressor, which I highly recommend. I won’t go into detail on the arduous journey to the Silverbank, as it was light on joy, heavy on, well, let’s just say I spent some time hanging over the side railing in the middle of the night. We traveled out to a sea mount way off the coast of the Dominican Republic. We crossed a 10,000 foot channel, passed through a nasty cold front, and eventually anchored in a wide area no deeper than 80′.

Each morning and afternoon, we boarded an inflatable boat for a 2-4 hour adventure. There are normally 9 people on each boat, but we had a small group onboard so there was just 5 of us, the captain, and a guide. The guides get in the water first, and either have a still camera or video camera. They get great pics, so it was nice to not worry about getting our own shots. (Though I'm glad I took my own since they aren't quite as good so they feel more real. The guide's pics look so professional, and my brain just doesn't register that I was there... if that makes any sense! Also, if you want snippets of surface action in addition to one long DVD, it's good to take your own video.)

We alternated which boat we were on each day, which meant we alternated captains and guides. This was a great idea since one of the captains is Mr. Humpback... Piers is a wealth of info and is so passionate about the whales. (He could also lift us out of the water with one arm, making boarding so much easier.) It was also good because we would alternate whether the still or video camera was with us.

The whales travel back and forth among 3-4 areas, depending on what is the hot spot of the day, so we spent a lot of time cruising around looking for action. Some times it was surface action, some times it's in-water experiences. There are rowdy males trying to woo the ladies and females giving birth to and teaching their calves. The males put on amazing surface displays by breaching and fin/tail slapping. This is done either to wake up or signal to the females they are ready for action. There are also couples that swim and sleep, and swim and sleep. We spent some time under water with some sleepy couples. Truly amazing! We spent a little time with a mom and her calf. That was indescribable. The mom was a bit anxious because there were so many rowdy males in the area, so she didn’t totally calm down for a perfect encounter. They say that when the momma calms down, and let’s her baby play and explore with the snorkelers, it is magic. It is enough reason for me to go back.

I would heartily recommend this trip. It will range anywhere from amazing to life changing. Swimming with whales is a rare and incredible opportunity.

As a note, it's a good trip for single travelers as well since no dive buddies are needed.

Thanks for the entry. We leave Saturday to do the same trip. We can't wait.
Is the water warm enough to just wear an exposure suit?

The water is quite warm. We started out with our wetsuits on, but my bum got a tad uncomfortable sitting in a wet wetsuit on the rubber sides of the boat. So I took it off. The guide said most people just need the warmth after they get out and are riding around in the boat. On our boat, we all eventually took off our wetsuits. (The other group left theirs on the whole time, though. Different strokes.) I had a short sleeved rash guard and my windbreaker and was fine. (I'm usually cold, so this meant it was plenty warm!)
The windbreaker was great for when it rained a bit, for when the sun beat down on us, and when the water was rough-ish causing sprays while driving.

One more tip: keep your fins/mask/snorkel close to you and ready to go in a flash. One captain taps people to go in first and you have to be ready. The other captain would say that anyone who's ready could go it. Either way, it pays to be ready.
Another tip: don't be all consumed with your camera-- experience it, and let the pics come second. A photographer on our boat complained that he wasn't quick and agile enough to swim over to the whales quickly and often missed the experience.

I'm so jealous. You will love, love, love the trip.

Hey Julie,

Thanks for the great post. We are heading for the Silver Banks - T&C Aggressor trip April 3rd, the last trip of this season. It is nice to hear from someone who was just there. I'd been wondering wether I should bring my 5ml wetsuit, or just stick with my 3ml. I will take your advice and just bring the 3ml. Thanks.

We'll end up back in Grand Turk, and stay aboard for a second week of diving between GT & Providenciales. We're all stoked, and can hardly wait.

The T & C website has lots of diving info. Is diving allowed in this area (non-whale)?
I've done shark diving (open),
shark2.png

and a whale shark encounter
IMG_1799.jpg
and am trying to get on one of these trips as well. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom