Snorkelling in Moz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nufc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

we will be going to moz next year at some point, and will off course be doing quite a bit of diving.

but what i'd like to know is a bit more about the snorkelling. Is there much good snorkelling just off the beaces? i am trying to decide whether to bring my own flippers and so on...

any input is greatly appreciated!

TP

whereever it is good :)

it is part of a long overland trip we'll do, and we plan to visit several places in moz, incl. tofo, pemba, ilha moz. etc.

hope that helps a bit...

You can snorkel off the point at Tofo, not too impressive but OK. Aparently there is some good stuff at Paindane according to friends of mine that have been there. Unfortunately that's as far as my knowledge goes, hopefully someone who has more info will jump in.

I'll ask around at my dive club tomorrow night

Consensus is that there isn't too much snorkelling to be done in Moz - however, I would take the gear anyway, you may well come upon somewhere that isn't too well broadcast as a snorkelling venue and need the stuff. Benguerra or Bazaruto islands may offer some options. Also Tofo Scuba offer open ocean safaris which is a 2 hour trip to go Whaleshark, Dolphin etc spotting. Haven't done one myself but will on my next trip, hopefully sometime around April next year.

I learned to dive in Mozambique and many of the people I dived with were very experienced they all agreed that it was the best diving they had ever seen. Better than the Red Sea, better than Australia... the best. The diving possibilities are almost limitless. There are beautiful calm, incredibly bright lagoons. Coral reefs abound within 300 m to 3000+ metres off the shore in all directions. The weather is irrationally gorgeous and visibility was virtually unlimited even at 30 m. Tropical, aquatic life abounds including blue spotted rays, crocodile fish, whales and sharks (even great whites). I saw four 1-4 metre rays in one 24 min. dive. The coral is spectacular and varied with many arches and tunnels and caves for those who like to play. As if that wasn't enough, it is probably some of the cheapest diving in the world. I got 7 dives and NAUI certification for less than a quarter of what it would have cost me in the US
Neal Winn

Don't think there are any good snorkeling directly from the beach, but in Tofo you can do the Ocean Snorkeling Safari with whale shark scientist Simon Pierce. You go in big, fast twin engine zodiacs and the waters off Tofinjo (sp?) are some of the most productive waters in the world for whaleshark encounters. Don't miss it when you're in Tofo.

cheers

Attachments

• whlshrkfront300kb.jpg
    whlshrkfront300kb.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 62
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom