snorkels ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used mine ever since, in Burma, I had about 3 seconds during a SI to put on mask and jump in the water in my clothes to snorkel within 3 feet of a whale shark who was checking out the boat. He swam away after just little bit, but it was a really wonderful experience. Nobody else got in the water in time to enjoy it before it took off. I felt slow and clumsy enough as it was getting the mask on without my hair tied back - having to retrieve the snorkel and put it on might or might not have been fast enough. I was just happy it was already on in that circumstance.

Similar thing happened in Cocos - panga spotted a school of hammerheads on the surface on the way back to the boat - screeeeeech, we're stopped, splash I'm in the water. No time to futz around. I was glad the snorkel was in place that time too.

For local boat diving, I just leave it on. It doesn't tend to tangle. It's on there, I know where it is, don't have to think about it, and always have it. Use it alot in chop, surface swims etc, and I'm the type of person who will forget to bring it the day I need it if it's not usually attached.

And, FWIW, I don't really give a flying flip if people think I'm an idiot because I happen to wear a bright yellow snorkel. :) Their problem for being judgemental, not mine.

People can wear 'em, or not wear 'em, or stash 'em in a pocket, or not, depending on their preferences and their diving conditions. Like CompuDude said. :)

Hey everyone - I am new to the board but feel fairly stongly about the snorkel issue. I wear mine all the time, whether working as an instructor or when on holiday and diving. I agree with all the previous posts that are for the snorkel and just want to add....if I am ever lost at sea, or need to wait a prolonged time for the boat, I would hate not to have my snorkel to help keep me comfortable while waiting. It is a great emergency piece of equipment, and I do use it a lot when swimming from stern to bow, and while waiting for students in the water.

I wear mine also. I would rather have it when I need it than need it and not have it.

mine annoys me sometimes.... i'm thinking about just getting a very basic (2 dollar) snorkel.. no purge vaulve no "dry" snorkle thing that doesnt work. just basic.. why do a lot of divers spend 15+ dollars on a "high class" snorkel?

I like to do my surface swims on my back so I can talk and B.S with my wife or buddy. If I have to have my face in the water I can hold my breath and look. We keep them in the dive gear but never take them out.

I always bring it beach diving, sometimes boat diving. However I often remove it from my mask before descent and tuck it through my weight pocket holder thingy (no it does not get in the way of releasing the weights). It stays put there nicely and gives me a little something to hold onto as I am still learning how to not use my hands :)

jk47:
I always bring it beach diving, sometimes boat diving. However I often remove it from my mask before descent and tuck it through my weight pocket holder thingy (no it does not get in the way of releasing the weights). It stays put there nicely and gives me a little something to hold onto as I am still learning how to not use my hands :)

thats a good idea i used to use the torso strap to hold onto but the snorkel wouldnt be a bad idea

In Jersey, it's a good way to get your mask ripped off of your head, so I just leave mine at home. Also, there's no need for a surface swim, so it really doesn't have much use here.

J75:
In Jersey, it's a good way to get your mask ripped off of your head, so I just leave mine at home.

You must have some mean anti snorkel folks up there:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom