So after the bombing in indonesia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My wife and I basically have a trip planned out to Bali and Sulawesi next spring. Anybody hearing anything from a security perspective? Two of my clients have put Indonesia on the restricted travel list. I'm still thinking that its OK, but I don't want to have to be looking over my shoulder the whole time.

I wouldn't go to Jakarta but Sulawesi (probably) and Bali would not be a problem. Bali is Hindu not Muslim although many Javanese are there - the Balinese will tell you it is they who cause any troubles in Bali. If you are worried at all just avoid central Kuta, it is a pain with timeshare morons following you around anyway. Can't see there being any problems on Lembongan, in Tulamben, Menjangen etc.

Sulawesi may be a bit less safe but still ok. Manado is predominantly Christian rather than Muslim. Most dive resorts are not in central town and would not make a particularly useful target.

I first went to Bali a month after the Kuta bomb, a number of people on our trip pulled out. The tourist industry had collapsed overnight but this made the Balinese even more welcoming than usual and very grateful some people were still willing to visit. Needless to say everything was fine (we stayed in Tulamben).

It is not risk free but most of the diving resorts are a long way from major built up tourist areas (possible exception of Candi Dasa which is still Tiny compared to Kuta), this would reduce any risk significantly.

This is a difficult decision but we were very glad we decided to go previously. Good luck with your decision making.

the terrorists win...

you never know. it's not like ppl have deserted new york. if it happens it could be anywhere. just live. and avoiding muslim places won't solve any problems, not all moslems are terrorist and not all muslim places are dangerous.

No not all Muslims are terrorists, that is not what I mean't to imply. However certain strongly Muslim areas are likely more dangerous at the moment (especially for US citzens) than non-Muslim areas. This isn't implying a majority of people are terrorists but you don't need a majority and you are more likely to run into one or two fanatics in say Jakarta when compared to Tulamben or other dive destinations in Bali. Yes problems can arise anywhere but are more likely in some places than others.

You may also have noted that I did go to Bali very shortly after the Kuta bomb. A number of people pulled out of that trip - everyone makes their own risk assessment and it is understandable why people pulled out. The fact that Bali is Hindu rather than Muslim and is generally viewed as largely distinct from other areas in Indonesia for very much that reason figured in both the decision making of people who made the trip and is definitely pushed by the Balinese themselves when trying to rebuild their tourist industry.

Thanks for the input all. Currently, unless something else happens, we're still planning to go. I really want to video critters off Lembeh. Alternatively, we're going to check into Australia / PNG.

thomssi:
No not all Muslims are terrorists, that is not what I mean't to imply. However certain strongly Muslim areas are likely more dangerous at the moment (especially for US citzens) than non-Muslim areas. This isn't implying a majority of people are terrorists but you don't need a majority and you are more likely to run into one or two fanatics in say Jakarta when compared to Tulamben or other dive destinations in Bali. Yes problems can arise anywhere but are more likely in some places than others.

sorry, with all the hype going on you start worrying that ppl are going anti muslim. i realise you didn't mean it that way.

I just came back from Bali yersterday and it couldn't have been nicer. The tourists seem to have returned and the Aussies, who lost many friends and relatives in the Bali bombing are also back in numbers.

Even the terrible news about the Australian embassy in Jakarta just seemed to make the locals more determined to protect their visitors and denounce what had happened.

Aslo as regards Muslim areas some of my the best people I know are Muslims and I'm proud to call them friends. It's only a group of nutters that are causing the problems, no sane person would cause this kind of mayhem. Where I come from in Ireland we have our own fanatics claiming to be fighting in the name of Christian religions. The vast majority of Irish people would tell you that they want nothing to do with them. They're just as crazy as the those currently grabbing the headlines. So don't feel frightened of the Muslim countries or their people, you've probably just as good, if not better, a chance of being attacked or mugged in any major city as you have in any of the Muslim states

Hi!

I just came back from Bali. I dove in Nusa Penida, Sanur, and Tulamben. I was there July 19-24, 2004. Everything was perfectly fine. I am a female, and I traveled by myself. I arrived in Denpasar and rented a car and drove to Tulamben. Granted I am a native Indonesian, but I grew up here in the States. So, within minutes, the locals can tell that I am not really "a native" anymore, which could be worse than foreigners. Most of Indonesian really hate confrontantional. They really are very peaceful people. By the way, I am a Moslem too. Yes, the Balinese can tell immediately that I am a Moslem because of my Islamic name. So, hopefully this will help you make your decision. Please PM me for any further info, especially if you are thinking of going to Tulamben.

Back
Top Bottom