so brain fried

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikko

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying to take my DM exam. I am so fried. The physics and physiology is killing me. Does anyone have any advice for remembering some of this information? Physics has never been my strong suit.

Thanks!

Memorization never worked for me, so I had to understand what the physics formulas really mean. All the formulas are solvable for any of the elements in them. You need to apply what you know about algebra to isolate the unknown part of the formula, put that at one side by itself, and plug in the remaining numbers. Once you understand the logic behind the formulas it gets easier.

Same is true for physiology. If I can understand the process behind the symptoms, I can more easily recall the identifying factors. For example, if I understand that CO bonds with hemoglobin at exactly the place where O2 is supposed to bond, I can understand why red lips and nail beds is a symptom of CO poisoning.

Hey Nikko,

Very general question, but my advice is that if you are feeling "fried" it's probably best to ditch the books for a day and clear your head. To much info at one time will cause you to be fried. The info is all in there, just need to chill a bit and give yourself a break.

Good luck, let us know how it goes

:D

I'm like Quero, memorization never worked for me. I find trying to explain it to someone else or even studying and discussing it with someone else helps me to understand it better. If I understand it, I remember it.

Additionally, just the act of talking will help getting oxygen to brain thus keeping you awake. Worst case, if you don't have anyone to talk with read the books out loud.

Use the candidate workbook - it is an excellent study tool, often neglected.

Read the introduction and how to use the manual - one section at a time, read the objective, answer the questions, review the answers. The answers keys not only tell you the correct answer, they often tell you why the answer is correct, and why the wrong answers are wrong.

Repeat the questions until you understand the process, but more importantly, as Quero has said, use this to learn the underlying principles. They are not rocket science, and things we can often apply to every day life. Gas volume in a balloon gets bigger as pressure decreases = the BCD, of course, temperature increases have a corresponding increase in tank pressure, sea water weighs more than fresh water because it's full of - well - salt, amongst other things (including fish poo).

Don't get lost in the numbers - the concepts are quite simple and once you understand them it will make applying the numbers easier. The questions can be learned by rote, but consider that as a DM you would be expected to understand and explain these concepts, whether you are working or not.

Study groups work well - if you have some peers then this is of great help. Helping somebody else to understand something increases your own understanding immensely. I learned more from teaching than I ever did from being taught.

Hope that helps - and good luck,

Crowley

I would second what Crowley put here ... the workbook is a great tool and good at helping you pinpoint where your deficiencies are. If you find yourself getting stuck on some of the physics questions, make up your own with new #'s. Draw everything out if you are getting bogged down with formulas.

I was talking to one of our shop's AI's a few months ago who did the online prep stuff PADI has now -- if applicable you might consider that route as well, as she and her husband said it was pretty well done.

Hopefully your Instructor / CD, is willing to sit down and move through the sections with you, At Your Pace, so you understand the "reality", as compared to, the numbers (read formulas).

This makes a huge difference in making the jump to passing these and the instuctors tests a breeze.

explaining the physics and physiology to another diver (the noober the better) is a great way to learn.

having completed an engineering degree, i actually found the phsyics annoyingly harder than it should have been. the way PADI teach it is confusing.

physiology is just learning everything parrot fashion.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying to take my DM exam. I am so fried. The physics and physiology is killing me. Does anyone have any advice for remembering some of this information? Physics has never been my strong suit.

Thanks!

Are you trying to do the problems in metric or Imperial units?

Read ALL of the question. Don't read the first part, think 'I know how to do this one' and rush ahead without really knowing what the question is asking for.

I just blew 2 questions that way :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom