so hard to find the perfect knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NateS

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on a quest to find the right knife or cutter. It's important to me that it is titanium, which rules out many otherwise great knives, Trilobite, etc. I don't want to strap something on my leg, I'm looking for something small that won't be in the way, but is there if I ever need it. I have an xDeep Ghost, so no BCD mounting. I guess a sheath that goes on the webbing is best? If it's a knife I'd like a blunt tip, a serrated section, and a line cutting hook. The sheath needs to be secure, I'm not a big fan of plastic clips. A cutter would also be fine, though most are not titanium.

The Halcyon Explorer knife seems to be closest, though it's not a blunt tip. It seems to be held in by friction? Is it secure?

Are there other contenders I've missed?

what do you need it for?
Why titanium?
Why serrated?
Why not two knives?

Trilobite or Benchmade 7 are my preferred line cutters. They are single purpose and live on the computer strap or any other strap. They are always with me.
In the ocean I will carry trauma shears, and something like this
Cave Adventurers - Scuba Max Stainless Steel Blunted Dive Knife - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

The friction fit of the halcyon sheath is fairly secure, but you want easy access to it, so it is a pro and con.

tn

Why does it need to be titanium? I have a Wenoka (aparently AquaLung now) Squeeze Lock in both titanium and stainless and neither rust even if neglected. They've got all of the features you mention except for plastic clips.

Just for recreational ocean diving. I'll probably never need it, but would like to have it. Also, I like knives. :) I'd like titanium for it's anti rust properties and so maintenance is easier. Serrated for sawing utility. I'd prefer a single knife that can reasonably do all the jobs over two knives.

It's too bad the Trilobite, Benchmade 7 (I'm a fan, have some of their balisongs), and Scuba Max aren't titanium. Do you have any rust issues? Are you careful to let them dry outside the sheath?

Most of your wish list:

Squeeze Lock Knife

I owned, years ago a Wenoka compact squeeze, it seemed to dull over time without use. It was titanium. I now use a trilobite which is not great but pretty good. The quality of the blades seems variable I've had some start to show rust after just a few dives. I'm OCD about rinsing and often remove the blade, I also coat with food grade silicone. I find they cut small to medium diameter rope well, wet webbing woeful, dry webbing ok, fishing line ok-ish. My local site has a ton of discarded line which on occasion tries to catch me, I find often the line slides and doesn't cut first time and often takes two or three tries. I do pull the like taut. Could be user error but I don't think so. Shears I have found are best for my needs, fishing line, webbing and small diameter rope no problem but they don't stow as pretty as the trilobite.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2015 at 10:06 AM ----------

Just for recreational ocean diving. I'll probably never need it, but would like to have it. Also, I like knives. :) I'd like titanium for it's anti rust properties and so maintenance is easier. Serrated for sawing utility. I'd prefer a single knife that can reasonably do all the jobs over two knives.

It's too bad the Trilobite, Benchmade 7 (I'm a fan, have some of their balisongs), and Scuba Max aren't titanium. Do you have any rust issues? Are you careful to let them dry outside the sheath?

Yes, rust issues, yes, careful to dry outside sheath and dry out sheath.

The Wenoka looks pretty ok. I could probably get over the plastic clips, they look pretty thick. It's is probably more secure than the Halcyon and has a blunt tip. Are there other compelling reasons to go with the Wenoka over the Halcyon? Does anyone prefer to mount the Wenoka to the BC inflator hose?

Yes, rust issues, yes, careful to dry outside sheath and dry out sheath.

This is what I'm worried about. To be honest, I'm probably not going to oil the blade and I'm going to forget and let the knife dry in the sheath. When that happens, I don't want rust.

The sheath on the Wenoka is extremely robust, you'd need to run over it in a tank to break any part of it. It has several mounting options. I still have one sitting in a box somewhere I can take some photos if that's helpful.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2015 at 10:30 AM ----------

It's very secure in its sheath. Nothing to be concerned about at all, it's going nowhere unless you want it to.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I have found about 6 knives on the bottom that I could not find their owners. The only thing perfect about all of them was the prices. But they work fine.

The Wenoka looks pretty ok. I could probably get over the plastic clips, they look pretty thick. It's is probably more secure than the Halcyon and has a blunt tip. Are there other compelling reasons to go with the Wenoka over the Halcyon? Does anyone prefer to mount the Wenoka to the BC inflator hose?

This is what I'm worried about. To be honest, I'm probably not going to oil the blade and I'm going to forget and let the knife dry in the sheath. When that happens, I don't want rust.

Worth remembering is that of course you can simply replace the blade on the trilobite so it's not ruined. However at $5 for two not super cheap but better than having to buy a complete new knife.

I let mine dry in their sheath with no oil (I used to spray them with silicone) and I've not had any issues with rust yet. I do rinse them with fresh water.

As for the plastic clips, they are thick but also very secure. You can't pull out the knife without squeezing them unlike other knives I've tried. More importantly, it is very easy and natural (even with thick gloves) to pull it out when needed.

Back
Top Bottom