so hard to find the perfect knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm pretty sold now on the Wenoka. :) How do you guys feel about attaching it to the xDeep Ghost webbing versus the BC inflator hose?

The underside of the sheath has slots for adding rubber straps (I think it included these), but there there is a slit on the plastic piece so that you can lift it and fit something bigger like webbing. There's also two threaded posts that come with thumb screws so that you can attach to BC grommets or webbing if you put a hole in it. I would not recommend using the thumbscrews as the plastic tends to pull off of the bolt.

+1 for two cutting devices. The big cool knives have a magical way of coming out of their sheaths or out of the hands of divers. Would be really easy to add a small trilobite to your waistband as a backup, and for cutting line/netting in rough seas when you don't want a pointy(stabby) thing anywhere near you or your BC.

+1 for two cutting devices. The big cool knives have a magical way of coming out of their sheaths or out of the hands of divers. Would be really easy to add a small trilobite to your waistband as a backup, and for cutting line/netting in rough seas when you don't want a pointy(stabby) thing anywhere near you or your BC.

OP didn't want one, but a trilobite on my computer strap is a very convenient configuration....

This is what I'm worried about. To be honest, I'm probably not going to oil the blade and I'm going to forget and let the knife dry in the sheath. When that happens, I don't want rust.

why not? rust is usually just surface stuff that looks ugly w/o hurting edge and cutting ability. plus replacement blades are vry sharp and cheap. Ti blades dull vry quickly in use, just not a good knife metal... if u have 2 have pretty blade w/o doing any work, look at boye basic 3 knife.

I know of one company that just came out with a new dive knife. SM100 titanium nickel alloy. Sharpens and holds an edge like carbon. Non magnetic. Lighter than steel. 100% rust and corrosion resistant. When I was consulting for them on an earlier design the price point was 450 - 600. The knife blanks are cut and then 100% finished by hand. EB Custom Knives. I'll give the owner a call and see what these are going for. They have some pics in their Facebook page. Due to the tempering process each knife is unique with its own pattern of color.

Last edited:
We have 3 Trilobites, I greased each blade with silicone and hang them off a Dring on my BCD. I melted a hole in the holder and threaded a Keyring through the hole.

Several dive trips so far and zero rust with no special attention given.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some Spyderco knives are made with H1 steel, which is supposed to be rust resistant, and prices online tend to run very similar to titanium knives. Only rust I've seen on mine despite no rinsing is slight, where they put the symbol, and I'm told that's due to trace residue from the drill bill used to make it, not the blade itself.

Now, finding a good housing/attachment to your BCD could be an issue. My Sherwood Avid BCD has a small outer pocket outside the big pocket, and that's where I put mine. I've got a Trilobyte on the cross strap of the BCD, running across my chest.

I think titanium knife is overrated. It is all good if you like Ti for the coolness, but in reality, a stainless steel will do almost as well in rust resistance for much less money. After losing H Ti knife a few years back, I bought a pack of Ikea stick knives (this to be exact SNITTA Knife - IKEA). Cut off the tip and put it into the H steath. Over the year, I lost one, so I am on the 2nd knives. I used it more often above water than underwater but I have it with me on every dive. No rust problem for at leat 2-3 years.

A word on cost, since that's an issue with both titanium & Spyderco H1 knives.

My 1st 2 dive knives were stainless steel dive knives, one a gift, one bought by me, both rusted up & whether they'd have cut or not, all that rust was ugly. I'm not normally big on appearances, but uh-uh. So I caught a cheap 'titanium coated knife on a Black Friday special. Yeah, it was cheap alright. That sucker rusted right up.

See, here's the thing. Whether I'm shore diving in Bonaire or doing boat-based diving, I'm not taking a knife out & rinsing & drying it consistently. Ain't happening. Different people are different and your practices may vary. I think someone reported having accidentally left a Spyderco H1 knife in salt water for 2 weeks & it still didn't rust. That impressed me.

So, for Bonaire, or the 26 dives I did on a live-aboard, hey, the Spyderco just sits in that little BCD side pocket & takes a bath every dive. And it does not rust. Cost me a bit over $60 off Amazon. Those 2 stainless steel dive knives were probably around $40 apiece, give or take, & the cheap coated knife maybe $15 or a bit less?

For me, the Spyderco is cheaper, for practical purposes. I would have liked some sort of low-profile holder to put it on my BCD strap like the Trilobyte.

Richard.

I do think a Trilobite is a nice tool, I just expect it to rust and that would bug me. Maybe I'm being anal about it. :)

I don't expect the titanium edge to see much use, so I haven't been too worried about titanium not holding an edge. Carbidizing seems to be the solution for giving titanium a good edge, though it doesn't seem to be offered on any dive knives I've seen. I haven't found a service, but it should be possible to do to any titanium knife.

The DGX knife is a much better price than the Halcyon. I've read the Halcyon Explorer is indeed the same knife, but with a better nylon sheath.

EB Custom Knives looks like this:
iQ96QtZ.png

I'm guessing they are expensive. :) It's hard to spend more than ~$120 (which should buy a very nice knife) considering how easily they are lost.

I came across the NRS Titanium Copilot. It has a squeeze release using plastic clips. It's 3/4" (1.9cm) shorter than the Wenoka due to a 3/4" shorter blade. No line cutter and it's made for a lash tab, not sure how well it'd attach to webbing. I think I prefer the Wenoka.

No BCD, I have an xDeep Ghost so it'll have to go on the webbing (or inflator hose, but I'm thinking it's bit big for that):
apflHul.png

Do you think the Wenoka will slide on the webbing?

H1 steel is interesting. It holds a better edge than titanium and isn't as rust resistant, but better than stainless.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom