so hard to find the perfect knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know of an h1 blade rusting? Looks like if they could, mine would've by now.

Heard back from the mfg. That first run was priced at 1195.00 each. It is nearly sold out. Knowing the clientele that they cater their other products to I'm not surprised. Another run is coming of a slightly different design. No price set yet.

Wow, that is one expensive knife, is it that much better than other knives? Is it aimed at collectors? I'd have a hard time justifying that and I'm pretty good at justifying purchases. Again wow...Jim can you get any photos of finished product?

---------- Post added September 11th, 2015 at 06:53 AM ----------

I guess you're paying not only for material but also craftmanship? Like ancient master sword makers?

---------- Post added September 11th, 2015 at 06:56 AM ----------

That would almost be singularly the most expensive piece of dive equipment I owned.

Not something you'd want to lose.

---------- Post added September 11th, 2015 at 07:49 AM ----------

Out of curiosity what type of clientele?

I do think a Trilobite is a nice tool, I just expect it to rust and that would bug me. Maybe I'm being anal about it. :)

Wow, you really don't like rust!

Here's an idea. Get a Trilobite (I wear mine on my computer wrist bungee), and a set of shears (I keep mine on my waist webbing). Now you have cutting tools that are safer and more functional than a knife, AND you have redundancy. Unless you are spearfishing, I guess you need a knife for that.

Since they stay in their sheaths, other divers won't see the rust, but maybe it would bother you since you know that it's there.

SO, to address that bothersome rust - whenever a little spot appears on either of these tools, just throw the shears ($5.00) or the Trilobite blade ($2.50) away and buy a new one.

In a sport where people spend $1400 on a flashlight, that might be the best solution!

People with too much money? :D The pic I posted is from their Facebook, I think that is how the knife looks. I don't actually know how much the SM-100 steel is or how hard it is to work with. It's one thing to want something nice, but $1k+ is quite a lot. For that you could have a one of kind or limited run knife made with fancy inserts and good steel/titanium.

Not really relevant to diving, but I came across this guy, looks like he makes nice stuff:
Daniel Fairly Knives

I might take your advice and get a Trilobite as a backup, then I'll get to see if the rust bugs me. :)

Does anyone know of an h1 blade rusting? Looks like if they could, mine would've by now.

Under normal use it won't ever rust. Pack it wet after a saltwater dive and it'll be just fine. If I remember correctly there was a thread where someone put a chlorine solution together and caused it to “rust.” If you're not swimming in a chemical bath shouldn't have an issue.

Additional forum info: Spyderco H1

I have a few H1 knives—one is normally in a pouch—but it's very hard to beat a trilobite for line cutting.

Wow, that is one expensive knife, is it that much better than other knives? Is it aimed at collectors? I'd have a hard time justifying that and I'm pretty good at justifying purchases. Again wow...Jim can you get any photos of finished product?

---------- Post added September 11th, 2015 at 06:53 AM ----------

I guess you're paying not only for material but also craftmanship? Like ancient master sword makers?

That would almost be singularly the most expensive piece of dive equipment I owned.

Not something you'd want to lose.

---------- Post added September 11th, 2015 at 07:49 AM ----------

Most of their clientele is people who dive Rolex and Breitling watches, maybe Patek. The knives are favored also by certain military personnel who need/want the non magnetic, light weight, easy to sharpen and keep sharp, with zero rust and corrosion properties. The blanks are cut out with a waterjet. After that every finishing operation is done by hand. Should be getting together with them in the next few weeks. He is considering a design option I gave him the drawings for a while back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom