so hard to find the perfect knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm pretty sold now on the Wenoka. :) How do you guys feel about attaching it to the xDeep Ghost webbing versus the BC inflator hose?

There seems to be some confusion, I'm talking about drying outside of sheath and oiling with trilobite not the Wenoka. When I owned/used the Wenoka it would get a rinse but I never oiled it or dried it outside of sheath. Being titanium it was relatively maintenance free. The only reason I moved on was that it never seemed particularly sharp even from new. I understand that although more difficult than steel, titanium can be sharpened with success.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2015 at 11:11 AM ----------

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm pretty sold now on the Wenoka. :) How do you guys feel about attaching it to the xDeep Ghost webbing versus the BC inflator hose?

Webbing for sure. I had mine on my webbing, very secure.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2015 at 11:15 AM ----------

Im not sure where you're located or restrictions on posting knives but I'm happy to gift you my Wenoka if you want and it's possible restrictions wise. Let me know.

Last edited:
Aye, I've read that titanium is not terribly hard, doesn't hold an edge well, and is difficult to sharpen. It can be (or always is?) carbidized (coated with tungsten carbide) on one side. As the softer titanium wears on the non-carbidized side, more of the carbide is exposed, effectively keeping the knife sharp. Only the non-carbidized side should be sharpened. If you sharpen the carbidized side of the blade, you ruin it!

I am guessing the Wenoka is not carbidized. There are carbidizing services out there though, and I think it should only cost ~$10.

I've found two of these knives on the bottom, so far. One I gave to a friend who had lost his (neither was his knife), and the other I wear, at times, on my harness with a bungee looped through the hole in the handle then hooked over the bottom of the sheath to keep it in place.

Normally I have my BFK from the last century, a trilobite, and a pair of shears.

Bob

I've found two of these knives on the bottom, so far. One I gave to a friend who had lost his (neither was his knife), and the other I wear, at times, on my harness with a bungee looped through the hole in the handle then hooked over the bottom of the sheath to keep it in place.

Normally I have my BFK from the last century, a trilobite, and a pair of shears.

Bob

I did exactly the same.

should be noted, that the DGX knife linked above is identical to the Halcyon Explorer at significantly less cost, so no need to pay the blue H tax.

My Benchmade doesn't see a lot of salt water so can't comment on that, but I leave it in the sheath and it hasn't rusted on me yet. Realistically I only dive with trauma shears and a safety cutter these days as I don't think an actual knife really has any significant merit and my concern with the Halcyon/DGX knife would be how difficult it would be to really put pressure on something with the thin handle. If I were buying a "Dive Knife" I'd probably spend up for this, support domestic business and what not...
Amazon.com : Benchmade H2O River and Dive Fixed Blade Knife, PIM, Black 112S-BLK : Sports & Outdoors

Why settle for one?

I carry a short knife on my belt, to the left side. A pair of trauma sheers in a pocket on my shorts that's specifically intended for scissors. A trilobyte on my right shoulder. If I'm shooting Lionfish, a BFK on my calf.

And if I'm expecting pirates, I keep a katana in my dive bag.

Back
Top Bottom