So...I haven't been to Grand Cayman in quite a while and +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Killerb1

New
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can help me out with lodging. I am looking for cheap, cheap and cheaper. Place for my daughter, myself and my granddaughter.

Anyone out there have a good idea or knowledge on where I can stay reasonably inexpensive?

Thank you!

Beth

Cheap is relative, especially on the islands, especially on GC. We stayed at a nice 3 bdrm condo poolside in Westbay for $255/nt plus taxes. We have stayed in a very nice condo oceanfront on 7mb for $550.

A lot depends on location and when.

For example, the 3 of you at Sunshine Suites - across the road from Seven Mile Beach is $161/nt next month - drops to $136 in August. It's very decent, has a pool, I believe a dive operation on-site although they'll shuttle you to the boat (they all do except the AI resorts)

Comfort Suites is often another good value - they're located behind another resort so not beachfront. Either is pretty close to shops/restaurants also. If you can make a 1BR suite work - they even have kitchen facilities including a cooktop, fullsize fridge, microwave etc. and includes dishes. Although food in the markets isn't cheap either - we cooked some meals to save money. $112/NT for 3 in August.

Another option is the Holiday Inn resort on the Sound (they call it Crystal Harbor) They have one room type - 2 double beds no kitchen starting at $110-129/nt. Divetech works with them and will pick up there and shuttle you to their boat on the north side but there's other dive operators with boats in nearby marinas also - after you register once you mostly meet at the boat - or they pick up along Seven Mile Beach - maybe at the HI resort also? There's also a good shore dive at Divetech's location - Lighthouse Point. No diving off the Holiday Inn - it's too shallow.

We managed to save a little by only renting a car later in the week - Andy's has decent rates and will pick you up. There's also bus service that goes all over the island - The Cayman Islands Buses | Caribya!

"plus taxes" is a good point as posted above - I believe the resort tax is close to 20% now, Add that you're 20% down on arrival - the CI$ is fixed at .80 to US$ so everything is more expensive than you expect - even food in stores since it's all imported. Probably the 2nd/3rd most expensive place I've dove in the Caribbean.

I am wondering if anyone can help me out with lodging. I am looking for cheap, cheap and cheaper. Place for my daughter, myself and my granddaughter. Anyone out there have a good idea or knowledge on where I can stay reasonably inexpensive? Thank you! Beth

Where do you want to stay, will you have a car, and do you mind doing some driving?

Is this primarily a diving vacation or more of a vacation with some diving? If you have non-divers in the group, or don't plan to rent a car, then Seven Mile Beach/West Bay is probably the best area - but it is also the most expensive.

And when you are looking at prices, keep in mind that some resorts and hotels charge resort fees per day - so ask about any extra fees. All hotels and rental properties charge a 13% government tax - no matter what part of the island you stay.

No matter where you stay, you should have the ability to prepare some simple meals because eating out 3 times a day is very expensive. And no matter where you stay you can work with one of the many dive ops on the island to arrange your dives.

The Comfort Suites on 7MB is one of the less expensive properties. It is a hotel suite so there is a more space to sleep extra people, how old is your granddaughter? I believe that there is a microwave and a frig in the suite and a complimentary hot breakfast is served daily, so that might work for you.

Sunshine Suites is often mentioned as a more affordable property but it is across the street from 7MB. All the rooms have kitchens, and you will have access to the beach and amenities of their sister property, the Westin Hotel across the street. There is a daily resort fee, $35 I believe.

We like to stay in an apartment in Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town. It is in a more suburban location but it is centrally located so you have access to the whole island if you don't mind driving, it is about 10 to 12 miles from George Town and the 7MB. The apartments include full kitchens and daily maid service and a rental car comes with the reservation. It is a clean, nice, family-owned property and the staff are great, but it is not luxurious.

TNI is situated on the water on a nice little beach but it is not the endless white sands of 7MB, but there is good snorkeling right outside the door. We prefer a beachfront or ocean front apartment because of the view and you don't hear noise from the street. If you want more space, the TNI condos are next door but they don't have daily maid service.

There are some other options depending on what you want to do, where you want to stay, what time of year you plan to travel, and how much you are willing to pay - the more you tell us the better we can offer suggestions.

Last edited:
..."plus taxes" is a good point as posted above - I believe the resort tax is close to 20% now, Add that you're 20% down on arrival - the CI$ is fixed at .80 to US$ so everything is more expensive than you expect - even food in stores since it's all imported. Probably the 2nd/3rd most expensive place I've dove in the Caribbean.

The government-imposed hotel/resort/rental tax is 13% no matter where you stay, we recently booked our fall vacation to Cayman so I know that for sure. But some hotels and condos - not all - add on a daily resort fee (or housekeeping fee, or service charge) usually $35 to $50.

Last edited:
We had a discussion about diving Grand Cayman on a budget last year, see the link below. But this was primarily about diving vacations - not vacations with some diving. The property I used for the comparison was Cobalt Coast which is an all-inclusive, small dive resort. it may be your most economical option for accommodations, food, and diving, but it is "off the beaten path" and you would need a car to visit other parts of the islands.

The thread also includes suggestions for controlling costs on Cayman from other SB members:

Is It Possible to Dive Grand Cayman on a Budget?

In my experience, you will be sad. I would strongly suggest Brac. There are condos on the East end that are reasonable. I think i paid 2k for two condos for a month.

In my experience, you will be sad. I would strongly suggest Brac. There are condos on the East end that are reasonable. I think i paid 2k for two condos for a month.

Brac is great, but if there are non-divers in the group it may not be the best vacation choice - depends on what they like to do on vacation. I like all 3 of the Cayman for both similar and different reasons and the wide selection of experiences.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom