So I'm going to do my first Indo-pacific dive ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In10se

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
... from Havelock in the Andaman Islands. I'm going with Vinnies dive shop because they can offer up the 15 liter tanks I need to get in at least a 15 minute dive :cool2:. I land at Port Blair on the 1st and should be diving by mid day if all goes well. My dive diva is running this show so I hope I can keep up.

I'll try the rented camera concept out and see if that will produce postable pic's.

Anyone with any Havelock related experiences that are worthy of font?

Wow, I just read the following: Havelock Island travel guide - Wikitravel, sounds like an adventurous place for a dive trip. Especially liked the part about carrying a stick for the wild dogs... :wink:

A "Havelock" search on the forum didn't produce anything, but you might try posting in the Indonesia forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/

Have fun In10Se, I'd definitely like to read a trip report on this one! :D

Thanks Zinc. Wish I was diving the fuzzy green rocks with you guys on that Travis Traverse ... sounds like a great time to be had by all. Last time I did a zero vis dive there was with K-Valve and friends. We thought it was 100' to bottom, but nope. Depth to a nice silty crash landing was at 68'. The way I hit bottom it felt more like I was sky diving instead of scuba diving.

I really am way glad I learned to dive in Travis. That Lake prepares us for anything.

Anyway Zinc good to hear from ya and I look forward to our next dives together!!

I definitely want to read a trip report too. Sounds very cool. Crazyduck, I know I'm not the OP, but I'd be interested in the thoughts you want to share.

Is this open ocean diving or muck/ reef diving?

Have you dove in the third world before?

Can I share a few thoughts?

Andrew

Havelock is where we'll be diving and DiveIndia is who we'll dive with. Yup ... third world it is. Although they do have 15 ltr tanks for rent, there's no chamber on the island anywhere, no NX to be had, and they don't have dive comp's for rent. We won't be doing any muck diving on this one, though I do miss my muck from home. Reef dives and what ever else we can get into is the plan.

I read the Maldives fiasco where the exhaust fumes from the compressor used to fill the tanks got mixed in with the fills because
Gumdi Holm who owns and runs Maldives Livaboards didn't keep her boats or equipment properly maintained. Her criminally neglectful attitude resulted in the death of a diver named Roman Rudakov from Russia and left other people in various states of ill health ranging from a days long headaches and nausea for a some to a month of serious illness for a few. People were floating unconscious.

As far as my open water and ocean dives go, I've hit the Flower Gardens, dove the Keys and Pompano Beach a few times, and did two dives off a small island on the coast of India near Goa (
9msw total depth so I didn't count that as my first Indo-Pacific dive) so although I am new I'm not fresh out of the pool new anymore; however, I'm here at SB to learn anything and everything I can so if you want to share something dive related, what ever it is, it will be very welcome Crazyduck, and thanks for asking.

Lol ... Zinc ... I had not read that Wiki you posted and of course none of the dive shops even mentioned the dog thing. That might get interesting.

I'll try to get some pics of the dogs if they try any funny business and post them with the rest of the dive pics ... :)

Back
Top Bottom