So it seems my ATT landline now includes unlimited free calling to Mexico...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just do not want to confuse this thread discussing various alternatives. I have some of those - cell phones, skype, etc, but was trying to discuss landlines as a few folks still have them, elitists notwithstanding.

Dandy Don, you must be one of those old fogies still living in the days when people feared the arrival of their telephone bill, frighted that the long distance calls they made would bust the budget.
Yeah, yeah, so? Lots of things have changed since I left high school and starting paying bills. I could tell stories about the breakup of Att, Lata rates, etc, but not here. Are old coots not allowed on your scuba board...?

I have an AT&T landline too (not U-verse voice) and also didn't know about it. In fact they list Mexico prices in their long distance plans and don't say anything about free calling for landline users - they show $.09 cents/min on the site...be careful in case it's just a billing error.
Ok, I do have U-verse, I think, and I know I have Voip. It could be this is part of why I now have free long distance to the three countries, while we don't know about your situation?

So U-verse has unlimited calling within North America, unless you're on the hard-to-believe-it-still-exists U-verse Voice 200 plan which gives only 200 minutes of usage a month, and only to the U.S. and its territories.

A landline is a type of phone that works and doesn't need upgraded or get lost.

That's funny. I represented one of the larger telecom companies on NANPA for 10 years and headed up a telco R&D Lab for over 20 years. I have 30+ patents in 'land lines'.

Landlines as we used to know them (in the good old SS7 days) no longer exist. VOIP has taken over. What you think are landlines are not. Twisted pair is dead. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. Sad to say that I contributed in a small way to their demise. If anyone is wondering or cares what NANPA does, you have them to thank for your area code.

International cellular calling and data is the last bastion that will fall in about 5-10 years. Right now, the carriers are milking it at outrageous margins as they used to do in the days of landlines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcf151230.gif

Yeah, yeah, so? Lots of things have changed since I left high school and starting paying bills. I could tell stories about the breakup of Att, Lata rates, etc, but not here. Are old coots not allowed on your scuba board...?

I've got no problem at all with old coots! I can still remember the days when Television was only broadcast in Black & White, when Saturday mornings meant watching Howdy Doody, Roy Rogers, and The Cisco Kid. I saw Richard Nixon's Checkers Speech on live TV. I think that qualifies me as an old coot myself. I was just poking some gentle fun.

Those things in the corner of phone booths?:newyear:
I doubt that my grandkids know what a phone booth is, but their parents have landlines - at home, at office and cafe.

Now if you elitists would kindly go play in the traffic...

65204481.jpg

Reactions: Jax
[video=youtube;3lN2yloEZg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lN2yloEZg4[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom