So many agencies, what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, but the shot i'm using as wallpaper was worth all the money you spent, don... :D

Lots of good advice on here:

-Instructor matters more than agency...find one that matches your personality and learning style.
-The most common agencies in Florida that I'm aware of are NACD, NSS-CDS, and GUE. I don't know what's common in other parts of the world. Again, instructor is key.
-If you think you're going to move beyond cavern, go ahead and get comfortable in doubles before your class.
-Cavern/Intro, then Apprentice/Full, taking time in between to practice and absorb what you learned before moving on is a good pace to move through the training.
-You must practice between the classes. Dive, dive, dive.
-Taking advanced nitrox/deco procedures before Full Cave would be beneficial.

I would add that taking one of the Fundies class...either through GUE or TDI prior to cavern can be helpful as it will help you change your mindset from an open water diver to overhead diving. It will also teach you many of the kicks you will learn in cavern plus help you with buoyancy and trim prior to the class. The better you are at the basics like this heading in, the more you can concentrate on learning things like line management and buddy awareness.

I will also add to not rush penetrating deeply into the cave. Take time to get your buoyancy and trim down before moving too far in. Take time to absorb what you learned. The cave will wait for you. The next 100 feet look a lot like the first 100 feet. Around that next bend...is another bend.

Good luck and have fun.

The next 100 feet look a lot like the first 100 feet. Around that next bend...is another bend.

bob, that's really really good. i didn't know you were a philosopher!!

I am not a cave instructor, but I am a cave diver, and an experienced wreck penetration instructor. I agree that AOW is not nec helpful before cave diving (except the extra practice, always good, or if you need some bouyancy work). However, I do believe that Rescue level training is very useful. The individual skills themselves have little application in a cave environment, but the changes in attitudes and confidence come in very handy. I now require rescue of my students before i allow them to sign up for any penetration class, based on actual incidents I have seen. I think a rescue diver is more likely to respond calmly and appropriately to problems encountered. You will learn this stuff in your cave class for sure, but being prepared ahead of time will ease your learning and lower stress, and allow you to concentrate more on the cave specific skills.

any thoughts on this?

The only rec classes I ever really recommend to my new buddies are Nitrox and Rescue, so I agree. Everything else will come with experience and tec training :)

(hey, marc! where are you?? :D marci )

I really don't think that the tech specs of the different agencies are much different...however I am newer to caving myself and have only experienced NSS-CDS Cavern and Intro.

As far as a fellow diver...I have never been asked once for an advanced card...The first dive I ever went on, a dive boat and Dive # 1, was technically an advanced dive to 90 feet. Growing up in Niceville, FL I frequented the Destin dive shops and listened to the different talk about how bad the springs were and the only real diving was in the Gulf and off a boat. This obviously cost more money and was a good point of sail for a dive shop that runs their own boat. Spring were just for back up incase the weather or vis is bad.

As and instructor I view the AOW class as a way for new divers to experience different types of diving. It could also be used as point of sale for a dive shop.

Truth of the matter is that the AOW c-card I view as a first step in to more fulfilling diving experiences. I would suggest that a BOW driver immediately go into the AOW class sole for the experience. But honestly I donÃÕ thing that anything in the AOW class can prepare you for any Cave course. The only thing in my option that can prepare you is experience.

As far as money is concerned you are going to spend more in gear that the course it self. I would estimate $2000 for 4 courses ($500 each). I as I read more on the site read what Rob N. (Dive-aholic) has to say.

I would definitely suggest Herb Sugden as your cave instructor however he has retired.

lots of good advice on here:

-instructor matters more than agency...find one that matches your personality and learning style.
-the most common agencies in florida that i'm aware of are nacd, nss-cds, and gue. I don't know what's common in other parts of the world. Again, instructor is key.
-if you think you're going to move beyond cavern, go ahead and get comfortable in doubles before your class.
-cavern/intro, then apprentice/full, taking time in between to practice and absorb what you learned before moving on is a good pace to move through the training.
-you must practice between the classes. Dive, dive, dive.
-taking advanced nitrox/deco procedures before full cave would be beneficial.

I would add that taking one of the fundies class...either through gue or tdi prior to cavern can be helpful as it will help you change your mindset from an open water diver to overhead diving. It will also teach you many of the kicks you will learn in cavern plus help you with buoyancy and trim prior to the class. The better you are at the basics like this heading in, the more you can concentrate on learning things like line management and buddy awareness.

I will also add to not rush penetrating deeply into the cave. Take time to get your buoyancy and trim down before moving too far in. Take time to absorb what you learned. The cave will wait for you. The next 100 feet look a lot like the first 100 feet. around that next bend...is another bend.

good luck and have fun.
but what's around that one!?!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom