So that's why everyone likes diving SoCal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LA? im not sure about that... Laguna or Catalina yes.. most LA sites? :T

Maybe OML or Point Dume

Glad you discovered the great diving right at your doorstep. With the cost of fuel and air travel, it is a timely discovery!

Don't give up on mainland shore diving. One day of diving at La Jolla Shores a few years ago gave me the opportunity to record 13 "new" species on video... some new sightings for me, some critters that I'd seen but never filmed before.

I'm interested in what sharks you saw on your dives here. The article on Catalina diving states they saw a "blue shark" at Torqua Springs. Not once in the 2,000+ dives I've done this decade alone have I seen a blue shark inshore... only when we are out on the banks chumming like crazy. I'm assuming the author saw a soupfin or tope shark. Back in the 60's and 70's, the blues were actually common fairly close to shore here off Catalina.

The So Ca. coast always comes up in the top ten dive sites in the world in scuba mag's all the time.

John

I'm so glad you found excitment here, ligersandtions

I learned to dive at La Jolla Shores, but some of the best dives I've ever enjoyed were in the kelp forests of Catalina .. can't say enough about it
.. right up there are the Coronados and Laguna Beach, with Wreck Alley just as fun too but in a different way

I wrote this right after my first Catalina trip. It's a response to a friend who asked me "but why dive here?"

The Kelp Forest

Kelp.jpg

or Why I Dive So Cal

Imagine you're walking in a beautiful forest, with trees all around you ... the branches swaying to and fro in the slight breeze .. you come across a small glade, leaf dappled sunlight speckles the ground and creatures scurry here, and there, taking no heed of you ....... now imagine that you're weightless, and flying between the trees as if in a dream.
DB

I'm so glad you found excitment here, ligersandtions

I learned to dive at La Jolla Shores, but some of the best dives I've ever enjoyed were in the kelp forests of Catalina .. can't say enough about it
.. right up there are the Coronados and Laguna Beach, with Wreck Alley just as fun too but in a different way

I wrote this right after my first Catalina trip. It's a response to a friend who asked me "but why dive here?"

The Kelp Forest

Kelp.jpg

or Why I Dive So Cal

Imagine you're walking in a beautiful forest, with trees all around you ... the branches swaying to and fro in the slight breeze .. you come across a small glade, leaf dappled sunlight speckles the ground and creatures scurry here, and there, taking no heed of you ....... now imagine that you're weightless, and flying between the trees as if in a dream.
DB

Well said!

Glad you discovered the great diving right at your doorstep. With the cost of fuel and air travel, it is a timely discovery!

Don't give up on mainland shore diving. One day of diving at La Jolla Shores a few years ago gave me the opportunity to record 13 "new" species on video... some new sightings for me, some critters that I'd seen but never filmed before.

I'm interested in what sharks you saw on your dives here. The article on Catalina diving states they saw a "blue shark" at Torqua Springs. Not once in the 2,000+ dives I've done this decade alone have I seen a blue shark inshore... only when we are out on the banks chumming like crazy. I'm assuming the author saw a soupfin or tope shark. Back in the 60's and 70's, the blues were actually common fairly close to shore here off Catalina.

We saw two leopard sharks. Without my dive buddies, I would never have known....my fish ID skills are less than stellar. When we came up after our first dive, I was like "did you see all those big orange fish?" And they were like "the garibaldi? yeah..." and I was like "oh, okay....garibaldi." Such a :dork2:

Okay, the L.A area...:shakehead: channel islands...etc.:wink:
Deer Creek
Leo Carrillo
Sequit Point
Nicholas Canyon
El Matador
Trancas Beach
Pt. Dume
Escondido Creek
Corral Beach
Malibu Road
Big Rock
Long Wharf
Veteran's Park/Redondo Canyon
Topaz Jetty
RAT Beach (Right After Torrance)
Malaga Cove
Haggerty's
Flat Rock
Christmas Tree Cove
Honeymoon Cove
Neptune Cove/P.V. Arch
Cardiac Hill
Marineland
Sacred Cove/Archery Range
White Point
Pt. Fermin
Cabrillo Beach
L.A. Breakwall
...just to name a few. When conditions are good, I'd rather dive Palos Verdes than Catalina any day. If you have a boat or friends with one, there are many offshore reefs, natural and artificial and hundreds of wrecks.

Deer Creek
Leo Carrillo
Sequit Point
Nicholas Canyon
El Matador
Trancas Beach
Pt. Dume
Escondido Creek
Corral Beach
Malibu Road
Big Rock
Long Wharf
Veteran's Park/Redondo Canyon
Topaz Jetty
RAT Beach (Right After Torrance)
Malaga Cove
Haggerty's
Flat Rock
Christmas Tree Cove
Honeymoon Cove
Neptune Cove/P.V. Arch
Cardiac Hill
Marineland
Sacred Cove/Archery Range
White Point
Pt. Fermin
Cabrillo Beach
L.A. Breakwall
...just to name a few. When conditions are good, I'd rather dive Palos Verdes than Catalina any day. If you have a boat or friends with one, there are many offshore reefs, natural and artificial and hundreds of wrecks.

Your post shows many great dive spots around PV, some that I've never even heard of or knew existed.I'll have to try and find/hit some of these "new to me" divesites. Thanks for posting them! By the way, are you the famous Mr.Marineland diver? Just curious because if you are,I would like to pick your brain sometime about OML.

Back
Top Bottom