So, who is going to market an inexpensive rec computer running Buhlmann with GF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The least expensive computer running Buhlmann with GF appears to be the Ratio iDive Sport Easy at $599, of course AI is an additional $379. This is also marketed as the Seac Guru. This has 6 preset GFs, no custom choice. The Dive Soft basic nitrox with one gas is $609, 3 gas is $689, custom GFs.

So now Deep 6 is going to market the divecomputer.eu computer in the US and Canada. It will cost more than the $540 it goes for in the EU.

I vote for Aqua Lung/Pelagic Pressure Systems. Their line of computers run PZ+, a version of Buhlmann with unknown alterations. How difficult would it to be to switch to Buhlmann with GFs?

OK, so just my rant. The i200 is is 2 gas computer for $350, I would think it would be quite attractive running Buhlmann with GF. Just my opinion:)

I think you're jumping the gun here saying Deep6 is going to market the divecomputer.eu computer in the US. Chris said he was looking into it as they were approached, found it to be a solid product, and he said you can't correlate prices, just that it wouldn't be under $500. There's not much certainty regarding the situation right now.

I think you're jumping the gun here saying Deep6 is going to market the divecomputer.eu computer in the US. Chris said he was looking into it as they were approached, found it to be a solid product, and he said you can't correlate prices, just that it wouldn't be under $500. There's not much certainty regarding the situation right now.
So who is going to market the rec computer?

To be fair, I don’t like RGBM at all, but my disagreements with it include more than just the model. If you look at the Fused-RGBM used in some of the Suunto computers, they basically collapse into gas content models in the recreational range. Which more or less pulls them in line for recreational diving. Ironically they only run a full bubble model in the technical dive range, where the evidence for them isn’t supported. There was a video a few years ago discussing this.

For recreational dives, regardless of my nitpicking, RGBM computers should be fine for most divers, as Suunto has shown over the years by its continued use and wide adoption. Bühlmann really outperforms and shows a difference for technical diving beyond the rec range or doing decompression, so if only doing recreational dives and not really stressing the limits of any model, why be so adamant about the algorithm?

Last edited:
I don't see it happening. Most new divers buying an entry level DC don't care about algorithm. otherwise, the mares puck, cressi leonardo, and suunto zoop wouldn't be so popular and the oceanics with dsat would be outselling them. and all it takes is some dumbass getting hurt diving 100/100 to cause a lawsuit. very little upside for any of the current manufacturers of sub 300 dollar computers to switch.

and all it takes is some dumbass getting hurt diving 100/100 to cause a lawsuit.
And therein lies the problem with producing such a computer... one guy decides to run 100/100 because maybe he didn't have time to read the manual and assumed it meant the most conservative setting..... ends up hurting himself riding the M-line and decides it isn't his fault. The first stop on that blame train is the manufacturer.

I think all SP computers are based on ZHL-8 ADT.
Adjustable GF is not a good idea for most rec divers and even some tec divers.

A pre-set GF30/70 at $139.00 would be very very sweet. I must be dreaming couple of yrs ago!

Bühlmann really outperforms and shows a difference for technical diving beyond the rec range or doing decompression, so if only doing recreational dives and not really stressing the limits of any model, why be so adamant about the algorithm?

Because it's not proprietary and users won't have to guess about what it's actually doing.

Back
Top Bottom