Socket size, and torque spec for the Yoke Nut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

?? (Something about assumptions fits here.)

All I am asking is if there is a special tool to remove a yoke nut. Many other manufacturers have a full range of special tools to work on their regs.

Mares, Scubapro, Oceanic, Atomic, Aqua Lung, Apeks all require special tools to work on their regs. Not using them is a bad thing and tends to just mess up the material. Of course when you take the tech class everything comes apart with the lightest touch, but
corrosive welding is a fact of life in the tropics and half-assing with tools that kind of work just breaks brass, and rounds nuts, and busts tools, and destroys sealing faces. That's why getting the right tool matters, which is why I ask.

It really does not matter if it sits in the ultrasonic overnight sometimes.

I quote myself, because it matters:

Some regs like ScubaPro (1" socket) design their reg so that a specific tool is needed. The ScubaPro tool (again as an example) is a specially turned thin wall socket, needed to fit inside the yoke and around the yoke nut. The Apeks (3/4" socket) has a specially machined socket head to fit inside the yoke, and a reduced diameter extension tool to fit through the smaller diameter yoke screw. The Aqualung (26mm socket) also needs a specially machined socket head to fit inside some of their yoke. Not all but some.

Which of those tools is needed, or is it a different one?

All I am asking is if there is a special tool to remove a yoke nut. Many other manufacturers have a full range of special tools to work on their regs.

Mares, Scubapro, Oceanic, Atomic, Aqua Lung, Apeks all require special tools to work on their regs. Not using them is a bad thing and tends to just mess up the material. Of course when you take the tech class everything comes apart with the lightest touch, but
corrosive welding is a fact of life in the tropics and half-assing with tools that kind of work just breaks brass, and rounds nuts, and busts tools, and destroys sealing faces. That's why getting the right tool matters, which is why I ask.

I quote myself, because it matters:

Some regs like ScubaPro (1" socket) design their reg so that a specific tool is needed. The ScubaPro tool (again as an example) is a specially turned thin wall socket, needed to fit inside the yoke and around the yoke nut. The Apeks (3/4" socket) has a specially machined socket head to fit inside the yoke, and a reduced diameter extension tool to fit through the smaller diameter yoke screw. The Aqualung (26mm socket) also needs a specially machined socket head to fit inside some of their yoke. Not all but some.

Which of those tools is needed, or is it a different one?

Enough already, if you are a tech pm me and I'll share. I have stated my position and that's all, I won't be goaded into teaching you to service EDGE/HOG gear on Scubaboard.

hmmm, I've taught the service class for Mares, Dacor, Oceanic and Aeris and taken the class for Scubapro, Sherwood, Sea Quest, Cressi, Atomic, Drager, and a couple more and that statement is just plain wrong.

The course is a specialty thru TDI and the limitation is to technical divers. Whereas TDI and I are the first to ever offer something like this (and here 2 years later still the only) it seems reasonable.

I will make available the schematics etc to any certified tech of other brands, shops (dealer or not)

What you seem to want me to do is encourage people without any training or mentoring from a qualified individual to start servicing their regs...I am not going to do that. I don't believe in it.

Oh...and you post a link to a copy of Scubapros service manual that is NOT Scubapro and complain that I haven't posted mine online like Scubapro, how about you post me a public link to Scubapro manuals online posted by Scubapro?

I do understand your point. Scubapro seems to oppose such resources ever getting to its customers and I doubt I will ever see such support available from Scubapro except where it seems that such support is required by law as in some (many, all) EU countries. The end result is that schematics, manuals. and parts are readily available to those USA divers who are willing to work a bit to find them. So that is one of the larger manufacturers that you are looking to draw customers from their gear to your gear. Offering excellent regs at competitive prices is a good start but many seem to be doing that.

I'll sceptically accept that there may be liability concerns in the USA about really opening up this kind of support to customers (although Zeagle seems to be more supportive in this area) but appearing to keep a real tight grip on the reins in this matter may be counter productive. After all, what makes a tech diver any different that any other diver when it comes to DIY training or the ability to perform service?

Enough already, if you are a tech pm me and I'll share. I have stated my position and that's all, I won't be goaded into teaching you to service EDGE/HOG gear on Scubaboard.

I believe all he is asking is if this tool (1" Yoke Nut Socket) will work on your regulator. The name EDGE/HOG is just not yet big enough to come up on the scubatools site.

BTW, beano, cheap as I am, I just took a standard Craftsman 3/8th drive, 1" socket and cut away everything that did not fit my my scubapro 1sts with a dremel tool. I even modified one socket to work with 1/4 inch drive for some older 1sts with smaller yoke screws.

Back
Top Bottom