soft or lead weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sudsy

Registered
Reaction score
hello Phil or Zak

I just brought a dragon bcd and wanted your opinion on weights.

Is it better to use soft weights or lead in the pockets? I was wondering if lead weights are hard on the pockets.

Thanks
Sudsy

sudsy:
hello Phil or Zak
I just brought a dragon bcd and wanted your opinion on weights.

Is it better to use soft weights or lead in the pockets? I was wondering if lead weights are hard on the pockets.

Thanks
Sudsy

Soft weights are more comfortable if they're directly against your body, however they also leach something nasty (some kind of lead compound, I assume) every time you take them out of the water and let them dry.

I like the solid weights, which don't seem to do this. The plastic coated solid weights are even better, but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Terry

Hi all,
Well I think it has mostly been covered by everyone posting here. If I had to recommend one or the other, I would choose the soft weights. More comfortable and not as hard on the pocket. The down side is they will leak that lead compound and the possibility of a hole in the lead pouch leading to tiny little shot all over your truck bed or trunk is inevitable. So the question is, do you eventually replace the lead pouches or the pocket? I say pouches, as lead is less expensive over the long run, and you'll be more comfortable when diving.

Good luck,

Well, I would first recommend soft weights, since that's what I have. When I went on a cruise and dove in Belize and Cozumel, I used the hard weights in my Probe LX (weight intergrated). I really didn't notice a difference. At my LDS the said the soft weights would be better and more comfortable. Ok, 32 lbs times 3.00? I paid a lot for that. I could've bought the hard weights at 32 times 1.50 and saved a lot and would've never know the difference.

I guess it's more of a preference thing but, I personally would rather have saved money and bought the hard weights since I couldn't tell a difference. So rent/borrow a weight intergrated BC before you buy and try both the soft and hard weights. If you can't tell a difference, go with the cheaper option.

Michael

I went with the soft weight pouches. I prefer them to the hard weights. They conform to the pouch and your body better. I've also found that when (not if!) you drop them on your foot, they hurt quite a bit less because of the physics of small, round balls of lead shot and how they can move against each other on impact v. one large chunk of lead.

I agree, soft weights rule... And they are easy to make yourself with some shotgun SHOT and some nylon stockings...

Back
Top Bottom