Software Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the repetitive dive feature in Subsurface needs some love. In the last version I tried you have to log the first dive and then plan the second, so it involves saving dummy dives into the log book, planing the second dive, and then deleting the dummy... that's not that intuitive.

I'm not sure what you mean by needing to save dummy dives in Subsurface. I have not done what @KenGordon described, where I download my actual first dive, then plan my second. But, I think it would work, based on what I have done.

What I have done is planned a day with 2 deco dives. I plan the first dive first, including entering the actual date and time I anticipate doing the dive (obviously an estimate). When I have it planned out how I want, I save it which enters it into my dive log.Then I plan another dive. There is nothing connecting it to the first dive other than that I enter the same date and a later time. Subsurface reflects residual tissue loading from the first dive in the second dive automatically based on, as you said, the dates and times of the dives.

So, to @KenGordon's point, once you plan a dive and save it, it appears to me that Subsurface treats it the same as any other dive in the log. So, when planning the second dive, as far as I know, Subsurface would reflect tissue loading from the prior dive, whether the prior dive was actually downloaded from a dive computer or whether it was one that was entered into the log via the Planner.

To summarize: I have planned 2 deco dives for the same day, specifying the surface interval by specifying the day and times of the dives, and verified that the second dive's plan does reflect residual tissue loading from the first dive. I have NOT downloaded a dive immediately after doing it, then attempted to plan a 2nd dive where the plan accommodates residual tissue loading from the downloaded dive. But, based on the way the Planner works, I think it would work the same for planning the 2nd dive, no matter which way the first dive got entered into the log (i.e. via download of actual versus via the Planner).

I will have to try this at my next opportunity. I think the process to satisfy me that it works like I want would be: Take my laptop to the dive site. Do a dive. Go into Subsurface and plan a dive for 1 hour in the future. With the 1st dive not yet downloaded, Subsurface should produce a result based on an SI of >24 hours. Note the results (i.e. calculated NDL or deco obligation). Then download the 1st dive into Subsurface and re-plan the 2nd dive, still for the same start time. If Subsurface works as we would like, then the 2nd dive would have a reduced NDL or increased deco obligation after the 1st dive is downloaded.

In real life, I might plan 2 dives for a day, then want to re-plan the 2nd dive after I do the 1st dive, so that the new plan is based on what I actually did, instead of the square profile I planned for. In that case, I would probably want to delete the 1st dive, which was produced by the Planner, then download the actual 1st dive. Then re-plan dive #2. This is, of course, assuming I saved my log file after planning the 2 dives in the first place (which I typically do, for this kind of thing). Otherwise, I would just do dive 1, download, and plan dive 2 from scratch.

+1 for Pasto deco. It's available on all platforms. Granted a bit tricky initially to use until you get the hang of it but I like it and it reasonably priced.

Pasto Deco is like a Russian WWII truck. It has the raw engine power, multi-terrain 4x4 capabilities and chassis strength.

But like a Russian truck, it's slow, hard to operate, and with so many levers to adjust its 4x4 options - confusing at best.

I have both Pasto and MultiDeco for iOS. Pasto has more power and features compared to MultiDeco but MultiDeco is faster and easier to use for planning and "what if" analysis.

I hope Pasto Deco's user interface is redesigned to be as fast as MultiDeco.

So, to @KenGordon's point, once you plan a dive and save it, it appears to me that Subsurface treats it the same as any other dive in the log. So, when planning the second dive, as far as I know, Subsurface would reflect tissue loading from the prior dive, whether the prior dive was actually downloaded from a dive computer or whether it was one that was entered into the log via the Planner.

To summarize: I have planned 2 deco dives for the same day, specifying the surface interval by specifying the day and times of the dives, and verified that the second dive's plan does reflect residual tissue loading from the first dive. I have NOT downloaded a dive immediately after doing it, then attempted to plan a 2nd dive where the plan accommodates residual tissue loading from the downloaded dive. But, based on the way the Planner works, I think it would work the same for planning the 2nd dive, no matter which way the first dive got entered into the log (i.e. via download of actual versus via the Planner).

I tried this out with my dives from yesterday, adding a 15@50m tive following a 35 minute 44m dive. It changed the RT from 57 minutes (24 hour SI) to 61 minutes 10 minute SI. I had expected a bigger difference.

I tried this out with my dives from yesterday, adding a 15@50m tive following a 35 minute 44m dive. It changed the RT from 57 minutes (24 hour SI) to 61 minutes 10 minute SI. I had expected a bigger difference.

What do you get for the second dive if you plan the first and second dives in MultiDeco or some other software (or even do them both as planned dives in Subsurface)?

58 minutes. I will try adding the previous dive in multi deco and see what it looks like.

Edit. Ok, easier said than done as my actual dives were ccr. Hacking up something approximate using rich deco gases for the first dive I get a 78 minute run time for the second dive. 17 minutes difference vs the 61.

I'd want to do something more scientific before claiming an issue though.

Last edited:
The table of tables feature shouldn't be too hard to implement. Maybe something for 4.7...

The planner takes into account dives in your logbook. So, indeed, after your first dive, you can download it to Subsurface and then plan the second that takes into account tissue state from the previous dive.

Last edited:
The table of tables feature shouldn't be too hard to implement. Maybe something for 4.7...

The planner takes into account dives in your logbook. So, indeed, after your first dive, you can download it to Subsurface and then plan the second that takes into account tissue state from the previous dive.

That is really nice. Is there any other dive planning software that supports that? I.e. download an actual dive, then plan a repetitive dive that is based on the tissue loading resulting from the first dive? I don't think MultiDeco supports that.

That is really nice. Is there any other dive planning software that supports that? I.e. download an actual dive, then plan a repetitive dive that is based on the tissue loading resulting from the first dive? I don't think MultiDeco supports that.
The Suunto one.

Sadly you are out of luck with that. Maybe Shearwater ought to concentrate on some PC (and even iPad) software rather than relying on third parties to do it.

I can't currently get subsurface to talk to my Perdix, my experiment from yesterday involved using the Shearwater SW to do the download and then importing the SB to subsurface. Reading the code it is not clear to me that strange stuff might happen due to the ordering of the dives. However the dive did change at all so I think I can eliminate that. Since they don't have run time configurable logging I guess I will end up building a copy locally. from what I recall of the build system that will be nearly as much fun as a visit to the dentist.

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom