Software Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suggestion: Port a solid ZHL16 implementation to a platform-independent visual programming language. And NO I don't mean Microsoft's "Visual" anything. They just ripped off the name because they saw the threat to their product line.

Why a Visual programming language as opposed to something like Python?

I've used and enjoyed this: (no affiliation whatsoever) What’s New in LabVIEW 2016 - National Instruments

I am NOT a fan of LabVIEW. I had to deal with that in college and I'd kick over to literally any other language if given the chance. Some of our instruments for labs, however, were really designed with LabVIEW in mind so we had to use it.

Another point about the dive planner in Subsurface, as compared to Multi-Deco.

You can edit the dive legs in place. I.e. if you want to change a depth or time in your plan, you just click into the cell and change it. You do not have to double-click, wait for a new dialog to open, make your changes, and then click OK, to close it.

AND, as you make changes, the plan and the displayed graphic version of the profile update immediately. You don't have to click "Run" to see what effects your changes have.

Put those two together and it's a lot quicker/easier to fudge around with the bottom time on a leg to get to the exact amount of deco time or gas required that you are looking for.

Why a Visual programming language as opposed to something like Python?
That suggestion was for nonprogrammers or those who haven't programmed in years. Read the part about "Blockly" in the link below:

Top 5 Programming Languages for Beginners

... I am NOT a fan of LabVIEW. I had to deal with that in college and I'd kick over to literally any other language if given the chance. Some of our instruments for labs, however, were really designed with LabVIEW in mind so we had to use it.
Show me any new piece of lab equipment that doesn't come with a LabVIEW representation.

My experience with LabVIEW was the exact opposite of yours.

Is offline use critical for you, or could you live with a website that allows you to plan on a server and download the plan? Platform-independence is so much easier online ... no apps, no downloads, no updates, no compilation, ...

I cannot get cell signal in many of the locations I dive. Sadly.

That suggestion was for nonprogrammers or those who haven't programmed in years.
I gotcha.

ETA: I have never heard of Blockly. That's actually really cool!

Show me any new piece of lab equipment that doesn't come with a LabVIEW representation.

My experience with LabVIEW was the exact opposite of yours.

No, my point was that we practically HAD to use LabVIEW because so much of the equipment integrated so well (or exclusively) with LabVIEW. I'd use LabVIEW with the equipment because it was really my only choice, but I'd use MATLAB or Mathematica (or another language as dictated by the situation) as soon as I could.

My Python is weak, and I've been looking for a program to expand it....and I've been wanting to delve deeper into how algorithms work. I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck rolling my own.

Last edited:
Here is a test for deco software. Change it between metric and imperial and see what happens. Will you end up with a 40ft plan rather than a 40m plan? Will your stops and ascent rates be all weird?

This refers to a older version of PastoDeco wich was fixed.
In older version, when there was a gas switch between bottom and 1st deco stop, gas swap depth was shown in meters instead of feet.
( It is obvious that if you have a gas switch at shallower depth than 1st deco stop this is a depth conversion issue ).
Deco schedule is correct and not affected by incorrect shown depth. It was just a "display" bug.

... I'd use LabVIEW with the equipment because it was really my only choice, but I'd use MATLAB or Mathematica (or another language as dictated by the situation) as soon as I could. ...
That makes a lot of sense. Do your data collection with the proper tool and then use those two monsters for what they do best. Ever tried Simulink?

Don’t know if you’ve run into this gem for poking around in files, but get a free copy of XVI32 from Christian Maas. He even made some simple changes to his block searches that I requested. Really nice guy. You can get his brilliant little work here: Freeware Hex Editor XVI32

You can probably tell that I’m happier on the nitty gritty bits and bytes end of things. Too much abstraction and I totally lose track of exactly what is going on…

... My Python is weak, and I've been looking for a program to expand it....and I've been wanting to delve deeper into how algorithms work. I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck rolling my own.
That is truly the best way to learn, just do it. Rewriting ZHL deco calculations shouldn’t tax any of the methods/tools discussed so far.

That is truly the best way to learn, just do it. Rewriting ZHL deco calculations shouldn’t tax any of the methods/tools discussed so far.
The only thing it'll tax is my fairly limited free time....and I hate leaving things unfinished, so if my psychosis decides to make me do it, I'll have to finish it.

I'll check out that XVI32 when I get home. I've used Simulink, but on a very limited basis. I helped a TA buddy of mine put up an example thing for a class and did some other minor, misc stuff with it.

Since Marg still hasn't put my post back up, I'll paraphrase it:

I share Boulderjohns concerns in the first post.

Therefore I've been GUE's Decoplanner on Windows. It's old school but very solid. It has both ZHL and VPM models and you can easily toggle between them. It is expensive at something like $149. It would be great if they'd make versions for IOS and Android and include them in the price. Then it would be worth spending that kind of $ for non-GUE divers.

On my iPhone I've been using Baltic. The profiles it generates at the same GF settings have been the same or within 1 minute of Decoplanner. We routinely use it to plan dives on the boat. It handles multi level and multiple dives a day nicely. The iOS app cost something like $15 or $20. Im fairly certain they have a android version.

No relation whatsoever to Baltic, just a cash paying customer.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom