Soil Sampling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIteen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Being a science-y type guy, as I was thinking about dive logs and what kind of book I will probably want to get for dive logs (I intend to go with a lab book/log book, hard cover, book bound so it lasts) I began thinking about what information would be interesting to collect. Then I began naturally thinking about actual references. One of the things I was thinking about was soil samples for particular dive sites. I am one of those people who cannot do something without a goal, even a small one!

One of the logged pieces of information is generally the bottom type. Naturally the words that describe such are words like : Rocky, Sandy, Dirty... But as anyone who has ever gardened knows, different soil behaves differently; each type of soil has a different makeup, be it a fine powder dirt or a composition of pebbles and sand.

I was wondering if anyone has ever considered soil sampling? The best Pop Culture reference I can think of would be that which was being done in "Saving Pvt. Ryan"... A small tin with some soil. Granted such would have to be dried out before storage, and the tin would have to be vented probably, due to the possible expansion of gasses, as to not blow up the soil on accent!

I think you're looking at sediment sampling, not soil. There are science endeavors doing something like this but with a different purpose in mind and at a much greater depth, literally. I don't think anyone's gone comparing sediment samples from different sites however; at least nothing from what I've heard of.

You probably wouldn't need to vent your collection tin, since the amount of gas in your sample will be so little (probably non-existent) that there's no chance for your tin to explode on ascent.

I guarantee you'll find more than just sediment in your samples if you take a microscope and filter to it. Give it a shot, you might find something that interests you.

Recent article about sediment sampling in Clear Lake, CA
University of California to carry out sediment core drilling project in Clear Lake

Another one, same site but different purpose
Sediment Microbial Community Structure and Mercury Methylation in Mercury-Polluted Clear Lake, California

Just to give you some examples.

If you're getting PADI certified, they have one with a Cordura nylon zippered case.
PADI Adventure Dive Log Book Binder 79136 with reviews at scuba.com

PADI-Adventure-Dive-Log-Book-Binder.jpg

I think SSI does also. And Trident Dive Gear - and there's others.

I wouldn't go bound either. No matter what you do pages will get wet and often smear. So you want to be able to replace them. Some of the dive log software programs also print the right sized sheets for a standard log book.

Really in all seriousness, I stopped paper logging dives after about my 10th dive. I use diverecord.com now. It's not the best but is online so I can show my "log" as needed anywhere there's an Internet connection. Which I've never had to do - ever. (Ok, once in Curacao but that was only to do an advanced dive the day after we arrived) Even they just wanted proof of a logged dive within a year. So I printed a summary page from diverecord.com and showed that.

Aye, Sediment is a more appropriate term! Hey, cut me some slack, its not easy to type correctly at 3am! lol

Don't sample anything on the bottom shore diving in Mississippi. Trust me.

There are classes available for environmental sampling of the benthic zone. If you want, I have a catalog at work that you can order for free to get ideas on how to sample or design your own sampling tools or containers.

There are some protected areas on our coast where collecting of benthic organisms is not allowed.

Lol Th, yea, come up with a 12 legged Sea Spider...

Cmburch... Good to know lol! Thanks for the scientific term... makes my googling a bit easier, as google doesn't like 'undersea bottom' lol...

Aye, Sediment is a more appropriate term! Hey, cut me some slack, its not easy to type correctly at 3am! lol

I'll let you go this time. Just remember that it's sea star and not starfish, k? :wink:

If sediment sampling "floats your boat" go for it! I like weird critters, personally; my daughter likes finding shrimp; lot of folks like wreck history; lots of others like caves; some divers get huge satisfaction from precision diving and personal bests.... so if digging up the "undersea bottom" excites your imagination, you should definitely pursue that goal! I believe that some of the work related to benthic sediment sampling in the waters sort-of near to you has to do with research into "dead zones," because, of course, the "undersea bottom" is a part of an entire ecosystem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom