Sola 1200 Photo light to get me started instead of Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamjam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, I recently upgraded to a Sony RX100 in the Nauticam. I was using my UK Light Canon torch to provide lighting but that is getting tiring. A friend is using the same rig and a video light with it, no strobe. I was thinking of getting a macro lens (specifically the SubSee +10 diopter) along with the Sola 1200 Photo Light.

I figured the Sola could serve as a video light, focus light and night light for night dives. I can always add on the strobe later on.

Would this set up work? Would it be too limiting? Also, if I wanted to add a strobe later on, would I need to buy another arm/tray or would I be able to add to the same one?

Thanks! :)

I can't offer a definitive answer since I shoot video only and not stills. I love my Sola 1200s for video as they give nice even light. My guess is that their intensity would not be sufficient for really good, sharp stills. The advantage of a strobe in still photography is that it gives a momentary burst of fairly high intensity light that stops any motion (ensuring sharpness if focus is good) and allows for a fast shutter speed. Not sure if the continuously emitting Solas would give sufficient light for you to stop action.

Envy your diving in the PI. Plan to be there for a month later this year.

You can use a single sola macro video
For stills It works up to 1/125 afterwards you get motion blur now for me that is quite limiting for macro, where you easily get to 1/500

At that distance you don't need 1200 lumens you can get a sola dive 800 and then you can switch between flood and spot with the result that you also have a torch for night dives

A focus light is a good addition to a photo set and allows you to shoot macro video and with some limitations also stills

Thanks, all! Beginning to feel like I should get a strobe instead - I like video but prefer stills.

drbill...it's great weather for diving now...where are you planning to visit?

Hello, I have a Sola 1200 Photo light (white and red light) and a Sea & Sea YS-01 Strobe for my Canon S100 in a FIX S100 housing. The Sola 1200 is bright, but I don't believe you will be as happy with the results for still photos as you would be with a decent strobe. The YS-01 is also cheaper than the Sola 1200 including the fiber optic sync cord. I absolutely love the Sola 1200 and use it primarily as a focus light and a dive light, but for me it is the strobe that gives my pictures the best results.

I used a strobe for the first time in December while in Subic Bay. I have attached a picture taken at night underneath the floating bar at the Arizona Hotel in Barrio Barreto. Nice octopus, cuttle fish and box fish can be found on the shallow dive sponsored by the dive shop.

crab_subic.jpg

Thanks, Sevenrider! Very cool shot. I think I'm convinced on the strobe over the video light now. Do you feel that a focus light is also important? I'm actually a bit hazy on how the focus light helps a strobe.

Also, I feel like I need to check out Subic Bay! I live in Manila and always dive Anilaos or fly out to the islands - never tried Subic Bay.

A focus light allows the camera to focus on the subject much quicker and more accurately than without. I also use it as my general light at night to look for things to take pictures of. It is attached to the camera, but I just swing the entire arm and housing around which is not hard at all. The Sea & Sea YS-01 has a "modeling" light that can also be used to assist the camera focus, but it is nothing like the Sola. The modeling light is nice to see exactly where the flash is pointing when you have the arms all twisted to get some of those macro shots.

The Canon S100 has been replaced by the S110...so the FIX S100 housing went on sale in November, but it still costs more than the camera did new. I purchased the housing, strobe and Sola at that time. I purchased a second S100 on Amazon for about $225. This way if my primary S100 breaks, I am not stuck with an awesome housing and no camera to use with it.

I would love to use my Nikon D300s, but the housings are just too pricey for me. I will stick with the compacts for quite a few more years.

I have not dove A
nilao yet, hopefully late this year. I have heard it has some excellent muck diving. For me Subic is all about the wrecks and I go there to dive with the folks at the Arizona (Mark runs a superb and relaxing operation). I also have family in Dinalupihan, so being nearby allows the family visits. I have stayed in PG and hope to spend a few days in Moalboal this April.

Thanks again, Sevenrider! I think I'll start off with a strobe and lens and then add the Sola 1200 Photo when I can. Before the Sony RX100/Nauticam, I was using the Canon s90 until I flooded it. I don't think I'd have the guts to use a dSLR underwater just in case of a flood. Good idea on the back up cam but the Sony RX100 is still a bit too pricey right now to allow me to do that.

Anilaos is absolutely fantastic, with all different types of dive sites, including some great muck dive sites. It's one of my fav places to dive - so much variety in the sites, and even the same site itself is never the same twice. Def try it out!

Moalboal and Melapascua are on my wishlist right now.

I can't offer a definitive answer since I shoot video only and not stills. I love my Sola 1200s for video as they give nice even light. My guess is that their intensity would not be sufficient for really good, sharp stills. The advantage of a strobe in still photography is that it gives a momentary burst of fairly high intensity light that stops any motion (ensuring sharpness if focus is good) and allows for a fast shutter speed. Not sure if the continuously emitting Solas would give sufficient light for you to stop action.

Envy your diving in the PI. Plan to be there for a month later this year.

Question, I just bought a gopro hero3 black edition, I need lighting, I really didnt want to spend more on the lighting then I paid for the camera, here the sola 1200 is 700 each, the camera cost 450. Doesnt make sense. If I buy the 1200 do I really need a pair of them or can one be sufficient and what kind of video should I expect from this set up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom