solo diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am of the opinion adv nitrox/deco procedure certifications is the best route to go for overall knowledge and experience. It certainly encompasses all aspects of the solo cert and beyond...

It does - many TDI instructors issue a solo card at the end of AN&DP. But not everyone wants the hassle of learning about decompression.

Another good alternative is the TDI Intro to Tech course, which has a lot of flexibility in it.

But not everyone wants the hassle of learning about decompression.

True. It's a shame, because really all diving is decompression diving, and understanding what you are trusting your life to when you are reading tables or using a computer should be primary on most people mind. Good to know that those courses will cover what I need to know to "solo" dive.

It does - many TDI instructors issue a solo card at the end of AN&DP. But not everyone wants the hassle of learning about decompression.

Another good alternative is the TDI Intro to Tech course, which has a lot of flexibility in it.

I agree on both statements. I earned my solo card in this manner...

Last edited:
Ridiculous opinion in my opinion :wink: Interested for your explanation as to why you would make this statement?

Can't speak for Doc but IMO only experience really qualifies a diver to dive solo. By the time you have enough experience you should have been exposed to all which is contained in the course curriculum...

Scott, in this case you are welcome to speak for me. I could not have stated it better myself.

I would find it more curious that someone would have the viewpoint that a diver was not qualified to dive solo prior to taking the course, but after taking the course they were now qualified to do so.

Scott, in this case you are welcome to speak for me. I could not have stated it better myself.

I would find it more curious that someone would have the viewpoint that a diver was not qualified to dive solo prior to taking the course, but after taking the course they were now qualified to do so.

With all respect possible, I feel like saying experience alone is enough for anything is a poor attitude to have, especially in diving. Sometime you just dont know what you dont know, and experience is highly variable. However, I completely see your point regarding the night and day attitude of some training agencies regarding student solo dive certs. I would expect that only experience + training would be adequate to prepare anyone to solo dive appropriately.

Thanks to Scott and Doc, I share your opinion.

With all respect possible, I feel like saying experience alone is enough for anything is a poor attitude to have, especially in diving. Sometime you just dont know what you dont know, and experience is highly variable. However, I completely see your point regarding the night and day attitude of some training agencies regarding student solo dive certs. I would expect that only experience + training would be adequate to prepare anyone to solo dive appropriately.

I agree that experience alone is not enough for anything. But in this particular case I see a difference. In my opinion solo diving is not an activity for inexperienced divers or for such who are experienced only by the name of their c-card. Furthermore in my opinion the Solo Diver course doesn't contain anything an experienced non-solo diver should not know as well. Of course for gaining this level of experience it takes a lot of training. But formal training in courses is not all. It also means frequently exercising the skill you learned in your courses before, until you reach a comfort level with them that they become your second nature.
But if you are on that experience level, what for should you now need any more courses where you just will learn what you still know? And so in reverse, we are back to Doc's statement:"...if you need a course to instruct you regarding diving solo, you ought not to be diving solo."

Why would you say that? Would you also say, "if you need a course to teach you to dive you ought not be diving?"

In my opinion there is a mistake in your thoughts.
The skills for solo diving are diving, so you don't need a special course for them, because every diver should know them. (See what I have mentioned above)
But the skills for to teach diving are teaching and that is no topic of any diver course except instructor training.

Solo diving not only requires certain skills, but IMHO it is the mind set of diving without the possibility of having someone come to your aid if there is an issue. You need to be able to have that confidence that you can over come any issue that comes up. If not most likely the result will be panic. I really don't see how they can teach that in a class. That needs to come from experience. I just don't see how a two day class can change someone that did not have the confidence to solo dive basically overnight. These plastic cert cards while handy, are not magic.:wink:

Well, thanks guys...

I would think with 1500 dives, I have the experience to go solo if I want to but I am not so conceited to thing I know everything. Personally, I feel safer going alone than with some of the rent a buddies I get stuck with. I just thought is would be wiser to ask how others experiences with the class was before I took it. I wasn't really looking for an opinion on whether I was qualified or not....:wink:...I can handle that part on my own.

Back
Top Bottom