Solo diver dead at children's event - Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Water 14 feet deep and he did make it to the surface to yell for help, but it was too late.

The Daily Home - Utilities Board employee drowns in Lake Howard
SYLACAUGA – A somber light was shed on preparations for an annual children’s event with the accidental drowning of a Sylacauga Utilities Board employee Tuesday evening.

Steven Heath Lowery, 36, of Sylacauga, drowned Tuesday as he was checking netting that had been placed in Lake Howard for this Saturday’s Fishing Derby, which has since been canceled by the Chamber of Commerce.

Sylacauga police, fire and ambulance services responded to the scene at approximately 5:30 p.m. Lowery was transported to Coosa Valley Medical Center where he was pronounced dead by Talladega County Coroner Shaddix Murphy at 5:59 p.m. The cause of death was drowning, Murphy said, and there will be no autopsy.

“There is no question the cause of death was accidental drowning,” he said.

Lake Howard caretaker Raymond Black said Lowery, a journeyman lineman for the Utilities Board since 2006, had gotten off work for the afternoon and went to get an air tank filled before arriving at the lake just before 5 p.m.

A certified scuba diver and member of the Coosa Valley Rescue Squad, Lowery was in full scuba gear as he entered Lake Howard at the southeast corner off Boat Dock Lane, where a net had been placed in a slough to block off the area where children were to fish during the derby. The diver worked to secure the net to the bottom of the lake and was about midway across the slough when he rose to the top, removed his mouthpiece and began to yell, “Pull me out! Pull me out!”

Black and another man promptly got in a boat parked at the nearby dock and reached Lowery within a few minutes, but his head was already submerged by that time. The lake is roughly 14 feet deep in the area he was located.

The other man in the boat and a woman who was on the bank pulled Lowery out of the water, Black said, and waited on an ambulance. What exactly went wrong is still unclear.

“I think something happened to him or his equipment, one,” Black said. “They’ve been doing this for 15 years, and they’ve never had a problem. The diver gets in the water and he goes down and up all the way across to make sure the net is on the bottom, then he takes hold of the net and pulls himself back across. Ain’t nothing ever happened like this.”

Several different divers have performed this task for the Chamber’s Fishing Derby without incident, but this was Lowery’s first year to help, Black said.

Police Chief Chris Carden said the police investigation into the drowning is closed and Lowery’s scuba equipment was released to his family.

“This is a tragic occurrence,” Carden said. “The police department is deeply saddened for Heath and for his family. The outpouring of community support has been noticed, and it will take some time for people who knew Heath to pick up the pieces. He had a lot of friends between the Utilities Board, the Rescue Squad, and I even had a call from Washington D.C. from somebody affected by tragedy. He was well-known and had a lot of friends from all around.”

Mayor Doug Murphree and Chamber of Commerce President Scott Hamlet echoed those sentiments. The Utilities Board declined to comment.

“He was volunteering to help a community event, and it’s a tragic, tragic thing that happened,” Murphree said. “He was well-qualified for what he was doing and was training to become a rescue diver. I would hope we could find out exactly what happened at some point, but I know we lost a good citizen and a fine young man.”

Hamlet, speaking on behalf of the Chamber Board of Directors, said they felt it was in the best interests of everyone involved to cancel the Fishing Derby.

“Our hearts are heavy and our thoughts are with the Lowery family at this time of need and loss,” Hamlet said. “We will continue to lift up his family daily.”

Funeral arrangements for Lowery will be announced by Radney-Smith Funeral Home.

The last known drowning at Lake Howard occurred in July 1994 when then-mayor James Payton died as he was attempting to recover a remote-controlled boat for his stepson. Carden said there have been no other drownings at the lake, which doubles as the city’s water reservoir, to his knowledge since then; however, Black said several people have drowned in the area around the water plant over the years. That area is secured with a locked gate, while the recreational area is open from dawn until dusk every day except Monday. No swimming is allowed.

I am not familiar with the area at all but I am guessing the size of the place or resources has something to do with the lack of a further inquiry here and settling for "no question, it was accidental drowning"? It would seem to me that something set off the circumstances that led to drowning, be it a medical issue, an equipment malfunction, or some other sort of tie up with the net or something. He was able to come up and yell for help after all.

It is always a bit sombering when what appears to be an experienced diver dies in depths equivalent to a swimming pool.

Apparently he failed to ditch his weights, something I practice first dive of any trip. He knew he was in trouble and yelled? I am surprised that no autopsy is planned. Man, if he'd just dumped his lead...

Apparently he failed to ditch his weights, something I practice first dive of any trip. He knew he was in trouble and yelled? I am surprised that no autopsy is planned. Man, if he'd just dumped his lead...

I failed to read in the story where he failed to ditch his weights. Could you point it out to me, please?

I'm not surprised at the absence of an autopsy, but there certainly should be a thorough investigation. This accident should not have happened.

I failed to read in the story where he failed to ditch his weights. Could you point it out to me, please?
He sank....
Black and another man promptly got in a boat parked at the nearby dock and reached Lowery within a few minutes, but his head was already submerged by that time.
But, they might have meant he was face down? BCs are not life vest. If you pass out, you can still go face down even at the surface. A good buddy in the water would have helped.

Forget ditching his weights, in such an emergency why wouldn't an experienced diver ditch everything?! In either case very sad to hear.

Forget ditching his weights, in such an emergency why wouldn't an experienced diver ditch everything?! In either case very sad to hear.
I'd rather ditch weights and inflate BC myself.

He sank....

But, they might have meant he was face down? BCs are not life vest. If you pass out, you can still go face down even at the surface. A good buddy in the water would have helped.

Yeah, he might have just lost consciousness and tipped forward. Hard to say. Which is why I questioned the lack of further inquiry or autopsy. In scuba fatalities there is almost always a drowning identified as cause of death. But it is not like these people just randomly pop their regs out and decide to drown. Something precipitates it, and sometimes it is a medical issue. One example of course being heart attack/cardiac events that cause loss of consciousness followed by drowning.

If he didn't dump his weights...then yeah, this is another "why didn't he dump his weights!". My answer to that is only that people do not seem to practice their skills enough in low-stress situations to make that kind of response instinctive in high-stress situations.

I still remember my OW instructor talking about weights and how they always find bodies with the weights still on.

"Listen up, if you ever find yourself wondering if you should ditch your weights, ditch your weights. Then come find me and I'll buy you new weights." (Heh, I just read that in his voice, thanks Brian.)

I remember reading on here about a diver from Oregon getting to the surface without any gas left and she couldn't inflate her BC or suit. She floundered and drowned, and now I orally inflate on every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom