Solo diver dead at children's event - Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He sank....

But, they might have meant he was face down? BCs are not life vest. If you pass out, you can still go face down even at the surface. A good buddy in the water would have helped.

It reads to me like he was face down. It doesn't say they jumped in to get him (which would be required if he sank). Anyway, if he was face down he had enough lift to stay on the surface, which would exclude weight as a contributor.

IMO, this incident is pretty weird the way it is described. He is on the surface; he can yell; he didn't sink as far as the rescuers described it. If he went face down and drowned, it seems to me there may have been a medical problem. Why the quick conclusion to "accidental drowning incident" without an autopsy to determine this? The authorities didn't want to deal with it? This incident reminds me of the IPE hit (immersion Pulmonary Edema) that I experienced last January in FL; fortunately, I made it, but another 10 min. without help and I would not be here because I would have gone face down with a heart attack.

If he had a serious cardiac event, he could have had only enough time to yell for help before passing out or even dying almost instantly. The only point of an autopsy would have been to satisfy curiosity about it. If there is no possibility of foul play, I suspect the family would not have wanted one. In a clear case of accidental death, the exact cause of the accident is merely academic.

Back
Top Bottom