Solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob and some of the others are right on. Knowledge, experience and practice are what makes the difference. The last time I checked the human could not fly any better than it could breathe underwater without the proper equipment. As a commercial pilot I rely 100% on my equipment. If it fails - flying stops. I have spent a lot of time training to be aware of the signals that something is about to go wrong and how to prepare for the event. As a solo diver do you know what the symptoms of a regulator going "south" or a tank running out of air sound or feel like? Knowledge (training) reduces panic - "I can do this"- and practice enforces that. I wonder how many solo divers have practiced making an emergency accent from 50'. Not once but several times until it falls into the "piece of cake" catagory. It is my opinion that solo diving, for a well trained and knowledgeable diver, that totally understands their personal limitations is OK. Personally, having made a lot of dives, I see things that others miss and I enjoy sharing them with my dive buddies.

The BIGGEST problem may have the smallest solution - Evaulate, Think, Respond

dw

Ah, solo diving (the scuba industry's proverbial can of worms). I'm sort of on the opposite side of the argument as the training agencies. I think they should train you to be a competent solo diver first, then move on to buddy diving if desired, since most divers eventually end up solo on some dives, whether they plan to or not. Now, if you're teamed up with a stranger on a dive boat, it would be a much safer dive. Anyway, you're correct....diving within your skill level/experience is critical. Making easier dives (shallower, warmer) obviously helps mitigate the risks. Also using some sort of a pony bottle is a great idea. I don't know if there's a perfect "minimum number of dives." A lot depends on the type of dives and the experience you gain, not just the amount (but more diving obviously helps with the experience factor). SDI offers a solo course, which would probably be a good idea if one is offered in your area. I'm not solo-certified (no offering in my area), but a course may very well clue me in on some hazards/safety factors I haven't thought of. I think if you take the necessary equipment, and start out with easy/familiar dives within your comfort zone/training, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to solo dive. Just remember not to become overly dependent on the equipment (your brain is your best buddy).

Last edited:
Most of my dives are solo dives, whether it be work or pleasure. I never dive with out an auxillary air source, the theory being no so much of being out of air, but running low and possibly becoming entangled in some underwater debris or hazard. Diving within normal limits, I have dove solo to 112 feet to do a recovery, however in the recreational vein I limit my max depth to 35 feet and stay well within the NDL limits.
I enjoy my solo diving immensely and with the right partner its not an issue if you create a Dive Plan and dive the plan. When solo diving, I use a dive plan as well, I also leave a float plan and dive plan with a trusted family member or friend.
Common sense and realizing that my resources for rescue are mine alone as when I dive alone. I insure my return to the surface with as I have said an independent air source of not less than a 19 Pony bottle or on some dives actually carry a 30. Most of the time before making the dive, I do a visual recon by using a drop camera setup on my boat or side scan sonar. On Shore diving I snorkel first plan where I want to go and then Dive.
Many will argue the merits of a dive buddy, and with the right person. But if you realistically dive solo, joining the Solo Forum might give you some useful tips that insure your safety as well as this forum and exchanging ideas. There are from what I have read here a wellspring of views and tips that across the boards you will find insight and useful information. Just remember to always stay neutral and Dive SAFE (Safe Ascent For Every dive)

I think "SAFE" is actually meant to be "Slowly Ascend From Every Dive"

(although DAN found increased bubbling if its too slow :) )

Wow. This is a hot topic.
First, the about me section: 21 years diving. 20 of those years have been @ the rescue diver level. My phrase that I tell any person/friend when they tell me "I'm getting certified," the two most important words in diving are "Don't Panic!" I solo dive frequently. I don't do it for the freedom, relaxation, reduction of stress. I do it for reasons such as: couldn't find another diver, other diver is not confident about the dive (due to skill level), other diver doesn't like the fact that there a sharks on that dive. I never solo dive without a bubble watcher (somebody has to call search and rescue if I have "total mission failure") I am 100% @ home in the water.
I dive an aluminum 80 with main and octo, 18cf pony with single reg and gauge, 2-3 lights, back-up mask, 2 lift bags, 1 smb, 2 computers, 2 compasses, surface whistle, one knife, and everything else is standard. I dive a back inflate BC which is encased in ballistic cordura.
In my humble opinion, it is ok for you to solo dive with your skill level AS LONG AS you have a bubble watcher, dive a very conservative profile, dive in a very controlled environment, and use this environment to practice. This environment being warm, clear shallow water with little to NO current. Lose your mask and don your back-up, then find your primary and switch back. Remove your BC, slide it off the tank, then replace it, then get back in your BC. Launch your smb attatched to a reel or fingerspool from the max depth of your dive. Do that until it's as easy as chewing gum. Practice navigation ON EVERY DIVE. Any failure you can conjure up... think "what should I do in that situation?" There are as many "situations" as there are fish in the sea. It's usually the one you never saw coming that gets you.
When people ask me about my confidence (or in their mind, craziness) in solo diving, I always say the same thing. If you choose to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, you have (or should have) the understanding that not only could your main chute fail but so could your redundant. Once you have that conversation with yourself, you have met with acceptance of the consequences in your choice of thrill seeking. Safety is key and should always be most important. Train, train, train.
Some rules I adhere to: never shoot a fish larger than you can handle alone, never penetrate a wreck or cave, never push your air supply, always make a saftey stop, when in doubt abort the dive, if you get lost launch smb well prior to your ascent, make a complex situation a learning experience, and oh yeah... HAVE FUN!" Simple words from a simple man.

I am a reasonably healthy male, and one day at lunch I sat down at the table and passed out cold. The doctor never figured out why, but it hasn't happened since. If I had been on a solo dive, I would be dead now. It's not the things we can control but the ones we can't that will get you.

If that happened on a buddied dive you could still be dead. Also, given they never figured out why that happened should you really be diving at all?

I am a reasonably healthy male, and one day at lunch I sat down at the table and passed out cold. The doctor never figured out why, but it hasn't happened since. If I had been on a solo dive, I would be dead now. It's not the things we can control but the ones we can't that will get you.

... unfortunately, the majority of scuba diver deaths occur from things that are perfectly controllable ... and preventable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i have over 2000 dives and am a photographer.
i prefer to dive solo, and only buddy dive when i have someone on my boat that needs to have a buddy . i usually have like minded photogs with redundant air source's onboard, but not always,so when i have someone who needs to buddy up,
i will keep an eye on them and thier info(air,ndl , etc..)
the area's i dive are usually 60-100 ft deep, and have kelp and fishing line , so i have 2 knives, and keep them in different locations ,one on leg, and one on computer hose (i know,i know)
i have a 19 cf pony, and keep it filled with the same gas i use,usually 32%, so that i have the same info if i ever need to use it.
i have practiced with it, and can get a safety stop in after ascending from 100 ft , but probally wouldn't .
i have taken an inhale from my reg and ended up with water, due to a torn mouthpiece, and the feeling isn't for the faint hearted !!
the second breath was better because my head position changed, so i got air, not water.
i stopped, made sure the breathing was right, and assesed the situation. i found my pony reg in my right hand, and was kinda pleased by that !!
this was due to the fact that on almost every dive i go through some drills (practice stop,breathe think act, the motoins for dumping weights , grabing pony reg, and flooding mask(i hate that!!)
on that dive, i had another diver with me, that was a buddy.
i had to let him know during the problem, that there was a problem, as well as dealing with the problem.
by the time i had figured out that i had a mouth full of water, and let him know, i had the situation under control.
had i needed help, by the time i got his attention, communicated the problem,and got to his octo, I probally would have been way more stressed.
by having my own redundant air supply, i could deal with it immeaditealy and then let him know after the fact.
so my solo diving skills helped even with a buddy fairly close at hand.
while a buddy is a great layer of safety , how close do they usually stay , and how often are they looking at you, or you at them , so that there would be an immedieate response?
i prefer solo diving (can ya tell?) but only reccomend it to experienced people with the right gear.
steve

Solo diving is great as long as it is controlled. Only try it if your dive level is Rescue Diver, the viz is good and limit depth to 15 m. No currents is also a good idea. Generally even when you dive with a buddy they are to far away to be of any great help in an emergency. A buddy more than 5 m away looking in another direction is not of much use in an emergency The ability to help/save yourself is the key in my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom