solo diving as a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why it's a good idea to discuss solo diving in the solo subforum
With respect, regardless of where one discusses the matter, it remains inadvisable for brand new certified divers to dive solo.

The answer remains the same in any forum.

To Princessaprilia... I feel myself a noob with some of the posters here...there really is a wealth of info to find here from very generous and well meaning divers. People I don't know at all but just from reading their posts I can imagine how they are and what they stand for (from a diving perspective). However I also see alot of posts from well meaning less experienced divers that are not adding anything to the discussion...

Princessaprilia.. how many solodives have you done? In your less then 25 dives what has gone wrong in less then 10 feet of water?

Beester, I think we are disagreeing about wanting the same outcome. I do not want the OP to dive solo right now. Obviously he has not read lots of the previous posts on this, otherwise he wouldn't have posted the question.
Since I have, and I know how passionate some of the posters are, I knew that some of the answers could get heated and possibly rude. When the responses get rude, I was worried that the OP would stop listening (a perfectly human response), think you guys are all a bunch of doom-sayers, and head out to a lonely lake and ....

My suggestion was similar to telling a teenager not to have sex. But if you're GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY, EVEN THOUGH I'VE TOLD YOU IT'S A BAD IDEA, make sure and wear a condom. :cool2:

What are the similarities between a teenager having sex when you tell them not to, and a new diver doing solo dives?

Either one who does it is going to get screwed one way or another in the end!!!!

With respect, regardless of where one discusses the matter, it remains inadvisable for brand new certified divers to dive solo.

The answer remains the same in any forum.

But the question to the answer is why?

The difference is that in the solo sub forum one will get feedback from people who actually solo dive. The benefits and the risks. In the regular forums one will usually get feedback from people who either (a.) don't solo dive (b.) have a general bias against solo diving.

The problem with simply saying "don't do it, you're not experienced enough" is that it doesn't help the OP make an informed decision. The usual statements like "minimum 100 dives" or "full redundancy" won't cut it. What is experienced enough? What is actually involved in solo diving? What skill sets are required? How does one get from here to there?

I just think the best place for those answers is in the forum designed for those discussions.

But the question to the answer is why?

The difference is that in the solo sub forum one will get feedback from people who actually solo dive. The benefits and the risks. In the regular forums one will usually get feedback from people who either (a.) don't solo dive (b.) have a general bias against solo diving.

The problem with simply saying "don't do it, you're not experienced enough" is that it doesn't help the OP make an informed decision. The usual statements like "minimum 100 dives" or "full redundancy" won't cut it. What is experienced enough? What is actually involved in solo diving? What skill sets are required? How does one get from here to there?

I just think the best place for those answers is in the forum designed for those discussions.

I agree with how one should talk about solo diving with an inexperienced person DaleC (summarise the risks and skills and let them make up their own mind) but I do not think the Solo Divers' forum is a place for people to be asking if they are ready to solo dive or if it is ok to solo dive. It is actually mentioned in the forum's Sticky that it is designed for people who have already made the decision to solo dive and I think it should be kept that way.

If you have come here to ask if solo diving is for you, then you are in the wrong forum. It is NOT for discussing the merits of solo diving or for telling people what to think about it. If you want to know if solo diving is right for you then it's better to ask this question in the Basic Scuba Discussions, New Divers or other appropriate forums.

I know you disagree with this from past discussions but those are the rules of the Solo forum... I personally think it is a waste of time for people to be asking if they are ready to solo dive - who the hell knows their abilities and if they are? Dive count can be irrelevant to that (but I do think the more dives the better, in general). If someone were to post "I want to solo dive, what should I be considering?", that is a whole different story.

In regular forums, including this thread, the OP has gotten plenty of feedback from a) people who solo dive b) people who don't solo dive and c) people who are against solo diving. I think that makes things fairly well-rounded. I disagree with your statement where you say it is only b) and c) :)

Afakasi, you've gotten some good comments in this thread already. In the solo divers' forum there are a few threads already from people asking similar questions to you that might be of further use:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/263483-solo-diving.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/262520-soloist.html

I've noticed nobody has mentioned towing a dive flag (assuming you are shore diving). This would help a great deal with some of the potential problems posted in this thread such as boats and fisherman etc. As many have already stated, stay calm and solve your problems. Panic kills. Being comfortable and confident is a huge advantage but I've heard about other divers that have also had these attributes but ultimately panic when it's all on the line. Dive safe. Have Fun!!!

WW

I agree with how one should talk about solo diving with an inexperienced person DaleC (summarise the risks and skills and let them make up their own mind) but I do not think the Solo Divers' forum is a place for people to be asking if they are ready to solo dive or if it is ok to solo dive. It is actually mentioned in the forum's Sticky that it is designed for people who have already made the decision to solo dive and I think it should be kept that way.

I know you disagree with this from past discussions but those are the rules of the Solo forum... I personally think it is a waste of time for people to be asking if they are ready to solo dive - who the hell knows their abilities and if they are? Dive count can be irrelevant to that (but I do think the more dives the better, in general). If someone were to post "I want to solo dive, what should I be considering?", that is a whole different story.

In regular forums, including this thread, the OP has gotten plenty of feedback from a) people who solo dive b) people who don't solo dive and c) people who are against solo diving. I think that makes things fairly well-rounded. I disagree with your statement where you say it is only b) and c) :)

Afakasi, you've gotten some good comments in this thread already. In the solo divers' forum there are a few threads already from people asking similar questions to you that might be of further use:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/263483-solo-diving.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/262520-soloist.html

Again this is something I posted in the solo forum on the subject of what we should tell divers asking about solo.

Here is my take on someone asking about solo diving. Give them the route you took to solo, such as training, experience, etc. Tell them the equipment you use. Tell them where and and what conditions you have soloed in. Tell them it is their decision to make when they feel ready. Pretty simple.

Again this is something I posted in the solo forum on the subject of what we should tell divers asking about solo.

Here is my take on someone asking about solo diving. Give them the route you took to solo, such as training, experience, etc. Tell them the equipment you use. Tell them where and and what conditions you have soloed in. Tell them it is their decision to make when they feel ready. Pretty simple.

The solo threads I linked to should have both your suggestion and people's responses, hence why I posted that link as I think that is an excellent way to answer questions such as the OP's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom