Solo diving in Coz....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huh, that flys in the face of what human memorization entails but to each his own. You cant highlight and underline passages in an online course. In fact ill double down and say that doing an online traffic school is basically the same thing and most people try to speed run courses online. Get er done as quick as possible.

You dont have the same feeling with a tactile real book. Not trying to go old school vs millenials here just stating how the brain learns. What you are saying is not based on any fact.

online college WILL NOT give you the same retention as a REAL COLLEGE.

If you dont believe me and you think you may have learned more efficiently online then please provide some theories backed up by studies.

I completely disagree. I passed my open water with a 100% score because I had read and highlighted and underlined all the pertinant info. It reinforces memory. Online studies provide zero reinforcement just a quick easy solution.

AND you go back and scan those highlighted points to study for the test. Again impossible with online courses.

A
Page 18
"The overall finding of the meta-analysis is that classes with online learning (whether taught completely online or blended) on average produce stronger student learning outcomes than do classes with solely face-to-face instruction. The mean effect size for all 50 contrasts was +0.20, p< .001."

https://www2.ed.gov/rschstat/eval/tech/evidence-based-practices/finalreport.pdf

MIT found similar results with a smaller study.

huh, that flys in the face of what human memorization entails but to each his own. You cant highlight and underline passages in an online course. In fact ill double down and say that doing an online traffic school is basically the same thing and most people try to speed run courses online. Get er done as quick as possible.

You dont have the same feeling with a tactile real book. Not trying to go old school vs millenials here just stating how the brain learns. What you are saying is not based on any fact.

online college WILL NOT give you the same retention as a REAL COLLEGE.

If you dont believe me and you think you may have learned more efficiently online then please provide some theories backed up by studies.

I completely disagree. I passed my open water with a 100% score because I had read and highlighted and underlined all the pertinant info. It reinforces memory. Online studies provide zero reinforcement just a quick easy solution.

AND you go back and scan those highlighted points to study for the test. Again impossible with online courses.

Except it does that just in a different way, it goes over each point multiple times in multiple formats with inter spaced quizzes, and a test at the end of the section. Before a final test across the entire subject.

I don't think the PADI or TDI elearnings do it as well as a true spaced repetition system (SRS), but they do a better job than just handing a person who likely hasn't studied ever or for years a book and hope that they remember it. In the online college courses I've taken their systems are more like a proper SRS. And I've used SRS systems for memorizing vocabulary and characters in foreign languages.

Also I passed all my elearning final exams with a 100% along with 100% on the knowledge reviews that the instructor gives you.

Next visit to Cozumel I'll go back to Dive Paradise and ask for a tank (to solo shore dive). There's a chance the policy will have changed so they allow it again. The young man who told me no solo diving didn't say it with conviction, if you know what I mean. Kind of wishy washy. And I didn't mention this but they asked my name, called another office and asked specifically if I could solo, and was told no. Which tells me SOMEBODY is making the cut to solo dive, just wasn't me. I had a most enjoyable, relaxing week here and can't wait to come back Those of you who live here are fortunate.....

Hi Crusier,

I saw your post last week when I was staying at Hotel Cozumel. I had a chance to ask Angel (The nice gentleman that works the counter at Dive Paradise for many years) about solo diving change in policy. He did confirm this is the new policy. It was a company decision not his.

This thread has gone way off topic. For people that have never done a shore dive off of Hotel Cozumel pier or Scuba Club located next door it's a 20 foot dive. Yes you can swim way out to get deeper. I would say most of the divers in this area stay within 15-20 foot depths. This shore dive should not be compared to shore diving up north where you will encounter stronger currents and deeper closer to shore.

I hope Dive Paradise ends up changing this policy of not renting weights and a tank to a solo diver. I wonder if Scuba Club has changed there policy also?

Appreciate your input. The deepest I shore dived all week was 28 feet. Makes for a nice, long dive.

I'll check with Scuba Club too.

Hi Crusier,

I saw your post last week when I was staying at Hotel Cozumel. I had a chance to ask Angel (The nice gentleman that works the counter at Dive Paradise for many years) about solo diving change in policy. He did confirm this is the new policy. It was a company decision not his.

This thread has gone way off topic. For people that have never done a shore dive off of Hotel Cozumel pier or Scuba Club located next door it's a 20 foot dive. Yes you can swim way out to get deeper. I would say most of the divers in this area stay within 15-20 foot depths. This shore dive should not be compared to shore diving up north where you will encounter stronger currents and deeper closer to shore.

I hope Dive Paradise ends up changing this policy of not renting weights and a tank to a solo diver. I wonder if Scuba Club has changed there policy also?

I've been shore diving in Cozumel for years. I went to Dive Paradise this morning to get a tank and they informed me they no longer allow solo diving since a mother and her son went diving and the son didn't make it (Cameron Donaldson) and a lot of other shops aren't allowing solo diving either in Cozumel. That made no sense on several levels. I went down the street and dived solo with my other favorite place.

Has anyone else experienced this in Cozumel? It struck me as odd so would like to hear your experiences :)

I was recently at Marine World and they said the same thing, and for the same reason. They also don't want anyone going out to the reef from their dock. A few months ago it was an option but recommended only for experienced divers.

My multiple sources have told me that Marine World is the dive op where this person worked and obtained his gear and tank for the fatal incident in this Another Missing Diver in Cozumel thread. I can't share any of the other info that seems to be well known about this incident as there is no way I want to get into a hearsay battle about it. I will just say that for Marine World to say that this new policy is about Cameron is bogus.

Another Missing Diver in Cozumel

Back
Top Bottom