Solo Diving - what's in a name?

How would best decribe what is commonly known as 'Solo-diving'?

• Self-reliant diving?

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Self-sufficient diving?

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Solo-diving?

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • Buddiless diving?

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other - please state what and why?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving is self-reliant diving. The diver totally depends on self. There is no one else around to lend a helping hand underwater.

I still prefer the term solo, in that it denotes alone, period.

Self-reliant, for many, contains implications derived from - rely. There is a relationship of dependency, of trust. This engenders a warm fuzzy feeling on many, leading to a feeling of confidence in self abilities, and it becomes easy to endulge in it. A feeling or perception which may be totally misplaced. I dive Solo, therefore - I am self reliant. Yes, but, is that a wise thing for me? It's not for everyone. On the other hand Solo simply implies - alone. No other attachments. Thinking about it, maybe this term scares some people away, afraid of being alone, who are nevertheless fully capable and comfortable being self reliant - sufficiently so.

So who is more naturally suited to be a Solo diver? We have:

1. Person who is comfortable being alone by nature but struggles being self sufficient.

2. Person who is comfortably self sufficient by nature but dislikes being alone.

3. Person who is comfortably self sufficient by nature and is comfortable being alone.

4. Person who is neither comfortable being self sufficient or alone.

The road is obviously easier for the third person. Possibly best to be avoided for the fourth person. The other two have some challenges to overcome, or should simply stay away if they lack the will and dedication to overcome their deficiencies.

It's important to identify where we stand. What areas do we need to place extra effort in? What areas must we always remain extra vigilant in?

I hope I'm not getting too far off subject. I find this interesting.

Bren Tierney:
With the greatest of respect mate, it sounds like you've missed the whole point of the question.

This is no mere quibble over semantics - more a coversation about folks' awareness as to the level of self-sufficiency needed to be a true solo-diver, and not simply someone who might share the same ocean as other divers.

Perhaps, but if so, I'm still missing the point. It still seems silly. You're either solo or you're part of a functioning buddy team. There is no middle ground. If you're part of a team you have responsibilities to that team. If you're solo, by whatever silly name, you need to accept the additional risk.

Just about all of my dives are solo. I do a lot of photography. Its just easier to go alone, I dive doubles for redundancy and try to watch my deco so that I don't end up with too much of an obligation.

Ok, so photography is my excuse for solo diving..... My real reason is that I like the quiet and solitude of diving alone. I am on my schedule, I can go look at what I want to look at and I can plan as deep a dive or as shallow a dive as I like. If the water looks bad or I don't feel like it, I bag it and go for a run. (ok, so that is a rarity)

Solo to me means I have no buddy, I am in the water alone--on my own--there may be a person on the boat or if from shore again no one--just me.
I think what the poll was about was to see if what many call "solo" is actually buddy diving in a loose sense when you and your buddy kinda do your own dives and just kinda keep a loose tab on one another but to me that is not solo. I think of solo as being alone in the water or alone on the dive.

Bren Tierney:
Is solo-diving the most appropriate term for this aspect/style of diving?

Have a look at the polll and make your choice - and explain why you might use it or one of the other terms to best decribe this type of diving.

Is all 'solo-diving' self-sufficient diving?
Bren-most of the diving I do now is not solo,though I used to do alot. Now I have a great buddy(my wife) to dive from our sailboat with-though occassionally I'll still go alone.To go solo takes a vast knowledge of skills.... and knowing your limits,lots of experience,the ability to think ahead about all the little things that can go wrong(most people just don't think this way),and a realistic sense of confidence that you can get your self out of any concievable danger you might get into...and I think that has to take into account equipment failure-so redundant air and regulators are a must with any solo deep diving .You need to know alot about the ocean,waves,currents,winds,weather,sea life and their habits,first aid and as much marine medicine as you can. You need to know as much as you can learn about DCIS and decompression.You should be a strong swimmer and and very good physical shape. You should carry oxygen on your boat-and you need to know alot about boats and navigation. You need to know about anchors and which ones hold best on which bottoms and get very good at anchoring or your boat may not be there when you come up. And although I mentioned currents-I'll mention them again-they will kill you if you are alone and you can't get back to your boat-know them like the back of your hand in the area that you are diving in-get local knowledge....Sorry Bren,its just not as easy as filling out the questionaire....self-sufficiency takes a long time to aquire...Peace...Saildiver :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom