Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wasn't quite sure where to post this so if the thread needs to be moved to another section then do so.

I was wondering what everyone thought about Solo Diving.

• Have you done it?
  • If So, What precautions do you take?
Let the games begin! :wink:

The only time I solo is in the tub............and I'd prefer not to even do that.

Happy Diving

Yes I solo and treat most dives even with others as a solo =just a mind set, depths over 60fsw.
1 second tank at least 30 cubicft & with Reg /Main [pony]
2, sharp cutter [2] knife
3. surface marker
4. 2 types light / glow stick
5. noise maker =whistle
6. all equipment serviced reg, ALL EQUIPMENT!
Then let folks know were I am, when I plan to call, the site I plan to dive
and then all must be right or I call it, hate to be on a boat dive and find it gone when I come up! I even drop 2 anchors on sites with no mooring!

I never solo deeper than I am comfortable doing a free ascent from.

There are not many dives that I would do with a budy that I would not do solo. If solo over about 30 ft, I carry a small pony (13cf). Solo at night (my favorite) I carry 3 lights. I usually only solo in familiar sites but I have done some fairly conservative exploration.

Ask around and it should be easy to get recommendations for good sites to solo dive in Kona. Most of my solo dives aren't because I particularly desire to solo, but instead are simply because I step out on the lanai, look at the ocean conditions and say "Wow, nice looking day! Time for a dive!" On a typical unplanned dive like that, I'll be in the water 30 minutes after deciding to go. Having to make prior arrangements to hook up with a buddy would be too limiting for everyday diving.

I don't bother with a pony for my solo dives, where most of the time is spent at 45' or shallower. IMO, at the sites I dive, the added risk during surf entry/exit outweighs the possible advantage of having a pony or doubles on dives within the range of CESA (no gas swimming ascent).

Much as awap describes, I usually solo only in familiar spots, or exploring relatively benign new spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom