Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I believe people have a right to be fools and besides you can't stop them from being fools so accept it. In the end the loser is the one who lets the fools bother him.

Oh Very Good staitement.
I used to live in a state where every-think needed to be autorised by High authority.
Even to be a fool. Some history below:popcorn:
YouTube - SOFABIKE history of creation

Humanity owes everyone of us one body recovery. Everyone is going to call that debt in once.

Not if said body recovery ends up costing someone else their life. Killing yourself to recover a corpse may be viewed by some as an act of compassion ... but it is hardly a duty. It'd be interesting to ask David Shaw's wife if she thought it was worth the price ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not if said body recovery ends up costing someone else their life. Killing yourself to recover a corpse may be viewed by some as an act of compassion ... but it is hardly a duty. It'd be interesting to ask David Shaw's wife if she thought it was worth the price ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Your thoughtful post history makes me hesitant to comment, but let me try. I spent the evening last night chatting to some divers who happen to know Don Shirley, Nuno Gomes and David Shaw personally. We discussed the event at length. Nuno Gomes who was the first person to touch down in Boesmansgat, refused several times to extract Deon's body. When he was ready for his world record dive he committed to taking a look for the body but attempted no recovery.

Please see Articles

David Shaw decided to recover Deon's body, not because he was being coerced by Deon's family, but because he enjoyed the challenge and he wanted to return Deon's body to his parents as an act of kindness.

http://www.africandiver.com/articles/feature/shaw.pdf

I have no answer in regards to David's widow. Perhaps, and this is my own take on it, David had a responsibility to his wife himself and when he decided to dive, Deon Dreyer being at the bottom of Boesmansgat becomes incidental.

I don't know.

Maybe I should put a line in my will that prohibits my family from launching a life threatening recovery in the unfortunate instance that I might meet my end in some inhospitable place.

Your thoughtful post history makes me hesitant to comment, but let me try. I spent the evening last night chatting to some divers who happen to know Don Shirley, Nuno Gomes and David Shaw personally. We discussed the event at length. Nuno Gomes who was the first person to touch down in Boesmansgat, refused several times to extract Deon's body. When he was ready for his world record dive he committed to taking a look for the body but attempted no recovery.

Please see Articles

David Shaw decided to recover Deon's body, not because he was being coerced by Deon's family, but because he enjoyed the challenge and he wanted to return Deon's body to his parents as an act of kindness.

http://www.africandiver.com/articles/feature/shaw.pdf

I have no answer in regards to David's widow. Perhaps, and this is my own take on it, David had a responsibility to his wife himself and when he decided to dive, Deon Dreyer being at the bottom of Boesmansgat becomes incidental.

I don't know.

Maybe I should put a line in my will that prohibits my family from launching a life threatening recovery in the unfortunate instance that I might meet my end in some inhospitable place.

Thanks for your insight ... but my point is that "humanity" does not owe us one body recovery. Someone like David Shaw may see it as an opportunity to do something good, but it was a choice, not a duty ... and in his case, the price was too high.

Humanity "owes" you nothing ... if someone decides to do you or your family a service, it's because they chose to.

Relating this back to the topic of solo diving ... one of the potential risks every solo diver should consider is what is the cost to others if they should die while on that dive? None of us are "entitled" to risk someone else's life because of the choices we make ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What a thoughtful thread! I am sure many new and seasoned divers have gotten something form it! Thanks everyone.

Solo Diving. Why post it in "basic" discussions? The other thread I was reading found a brand new diver asking for advice on how to train for buoyancy and testing gear and several NEWER members and divers chimed in suggesting that solo diving is completely the choice of the diver

So who's choice is it if its not the choice entirely of the diver?

and/or there is nothing wrong with it at all.

and with the proper training and equipment a lot of people will say there is nothing wrong with it. Again boils down to personal choice.

Another factor, for me, is that a friend of mine passed this year while doing a solo dive off shore on a breather and there are many in our local community that firmly believe had she been with a buddy, she'd be able to enjoy her 30s and beyond (very young).

Based on what evidence? Having a buddy doesn't automatically mean they can rescue someone from any eventuality. It doesn't automatically mean its safer - there are many recorded incidents of a 1 person emergency being transformed into a 2 person emergency - a buddy CAN put you at risk in some situations.

y. Despite all of the specialized training, gear and bravado the solo diver has, it is simply not as safe as diving with a buddy.

Lets have some statistics to back up the claim that planned solo diving is less safe please.

Here is where the line is drawn in my book and there are many if's in this so please bear with me.
If you know your gear well and keep it in top shape.
If you know the area you are going to dive very well.
If you have a back up air source(pony).
If you are confident/competent and know your limitations(overconfidence can be a killer).
If you can accept the risk and your loved ones can as well.
Then I have no issues with solo diving. There are of course many people that should not solo, and hopefully they know this and stick to the buddy system. It is not about intelligence to me. It is about how well you handle instantaneous high pressure situations. I believe that many of these panic situations can be overcome by knowledge(anyone can get a certificate...it's what you do with the education that counts). Of course, diving a lot helps too!
Get Wet!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Anybody who dies recovering a body is a fool.

Did you ever serve in the armed forces?

If you say you did wont believe you anyways..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom